1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SX Quality!? POLL!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by troyus, Sep 2, 2008.

1. I am/was an SX owner and I was PLEASED with the overall quality of the instrument.

169 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. I am/was an SX owner and I was DISPLEASED with the overall quality of the instrument.

20 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. I have never played an SX, but I bet the quality is pretty good.

83 vote(s)
    24.6%
  4. I have never played an SX, but I bet the quality is pretty bad.

51 vote(s)
    15.1%
  5. I hate SX basses more than anything due to emotional insecurities.

12 vote(s)
    3.6%
  6. I love SX basses more than anything because I am a stingy mofo.

3 vote(s)
    0.9%
  1. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    I always see these SX quality posts bashing the equipment and it got me wondering how many people are really speaking from firsthand experience? I've had 3 different SX basses/guitars in my possession and all three, while certainly not perfect, were great values.

So let's see what this poll yields! :cool:

2. i dont see a poll

3. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    Patience I was typing sheesh! :D

4. sorry.. and voted already :bassist:

5. No "carrots" option?

I've never owned an SX but I have played several basses as well as a couple of guitars. They are what they are, beginner instruments, but they seem to be a steal at the prices they charge. The ones I played had already been set up and played well, I can't vouch for how they are before they were set up.

6. I have 3 SX basses, love the quality for the $$ spent, great basses for learning to mod. I would say they're on par with basses costing up to 3x as much, IME.

YMMV.

7. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    This poll is flawed. How can someone have a worthwhile opinion on the quality if they've never played one? And not a used/modded one either. I think the poll should just be for people who have bought an SX. Otherwise what good is the poll? My 2 cents.

8. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    Actually that's the point. I tend to see a lot of of negative comments about SX basses from people who have not owned one. It's just like you may have a negative opinion of a Ford Pinto but have never owned one, for example. Vs. a Pinto owner who might really dig it.

9. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    i never played one..but really would like too..if i ever get a chance. id probobly buy a p/j eventually..

10. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Had 4 SX basses so far, 3 ordered sight unseen. All were functional out of box and played pretty damn good. All less than $160:D

Had 4 Fenders so far, 3 ordered. 1 unusable 2 needing major work to be totally functional. All over $1200.:atoz:

A disturbing pattern. But SX wins.:meh:

11. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    That statement probably won't be very well received, no matter what the truth of it is.

12. I have an SX SJB62/4+1 and I thought it was OK right out of the box. I took some time to change up the strings, set up the action and adjust the truss to get it the way I think I wanted it.
    I find myself having a difficult time picking that bass up. I will always reach for my Yammy or Aria, before I reach for the SX.
    Why, well for one, i find the tightness of the strings to be not to my liking. They feel "loose" compared to my Yammy and I find that difficult to endure.
    While adjusting the action on the D string, I ended up stripping the bridge saddle! I had originally planned to swap out the bridge anyway, so I did not get all worked up about it, but I was very surprised that the threads just wouldn't adjust without stripping.
    The bass sounds alright, but I find it a bit of a struggle to get my hands to do what they do easily with my Yammy. Now, before I get the shots, yes, I have had the Yammy for 25 years and it's 2nd nature to me, but the SX to me anyway, is just that much harder to play and get the sound I'm hoping for.
    At the end of the day though, for the price, I guess I did ok.
    fishheadjoe

13. I own three SX basses -- two P-basses and a Jazz fiver. They play and sound great, easily as nice as Squiers and perhaps even MIM Fenders.

14. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Happy SX owner reporting.

15. lowtide

lowtide Commercial User

Oct 14, 2006
    Bradenton, Florida
    Owner: Buzzard's Bass Shop
    I see SX owners as a whole 'nutha lot . . . we like to take control of our basses . . . mods/upgrades never slow us down . . . I've had plenty that were playable striaght out of the box. Never returned one. Had a '73 Fender P that I sold for $100 (back in "73) . . . a hissing bitch outta the wrapper.

Fender owners fear the resale value even when they want to upgrade. "I'd love to put that $100 thumb rest on my bass to make it look like a "63 but I'm ascared of puttin' a hole in me pickguard~!" And gawd forbid the wrong screws are in there.

SXs are SeXy~!

16. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Thought about that when posting but all I did was state facts. I still love my Fenders and Have a deluxe jazz as my main player and it is a waaaay better bass than my current SX jazz knockoff. Just required a fair amount of serious fretwork before it was totally playable.

Don't mean to stir the pot. Guess I just had to vent.

Apologies for offending anyone.

17. lowtide

lowtide Commercial User

Oct 14, 2006
    Bradenton, Florida
    Owner: Buzzard's Bass Shop
    2 so far . . . okay . . . who are you?

18. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

I've owned 5 different SX basses over the past few years and never had a problem with any one of them.

19. rezin

rezin

Sep 26, 2006
    Madison, WI
    i'd love to be able to do some cool mods to it, but i don't have any idea how to do any of that so mine is completely stock and i really like it. i was looking for an inexpensive way to try out a fretless so i got the 4 string jazz a year ago and i love it. still has the stock strings too, although maybe not for long.

lately i've been playing it more than my musicman sub passive 4 string, but a lot of that is due to it being fretless

20. BigDaveyTwinkle

BigDaveyTwinkle

Aug 30, 2008
    KCMO
    I'm a new owner of an SX Jazz and am pleased with the guitar. For $149. if it plays and stays in tune, you're ahead of the game, anything else is gravy in my opinion. New Dimarzio Pickups and a wiring kit and I'm still $30. BELOW street cost on a Squier for a better sounding bass. Costs are cut to reach any given price point. I think it is unreasonable to expect Warmoth necks and Sperzel tuners on these things out of the box. God, I hate the expression they are what they are, but it is true, and they are a great value for $149. making an excellent beginner guitar or a superb jumping off point for a hot-modded instrument.