Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SX Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Milky, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Milky

Milky

Jan 26, 2006
    Knoxville, TN
    Hey guys I know there is a megathread and all but this question is kinda specific.

I have decided on getting an SX bass. I really like the natural finish look and chrome covers like the 75 Jazz bass.

My problem is that I cant decide if I want to wait for 75 Jazz or if I should get the ash P/J bass and just get some covers for it. I really want a thick sound and I liked the P sound but the Jazz has more versatility as you guys say. Any thoughts or experiences with a P/J over a J or either of the SX basses I mentioned?

Thanks

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The standard J bass bridge pickup cover may not fit over the P pickup in the ash P/J bass.

3. Milky

Milky

Jan 26, 2006
    Knoxville, TN
    Is the bridge pickup in a different place in a p/j?

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Yes, usually.

5. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    If it means anything to you, the '75 has black blocks and binding on the maple board. It is a trivial cosmetic thing, but I think it really adds to the whole look of the bass.

You could get the jazz and rig it with a Series/Parallel switch. A lot of happy modded-jazz owners swear by this. I plan on trying it for myself soon.

Personally, I'd wait for the '75, put in the Ser/Par switch, and later if you decide that you really want a P/J, route the bass and "implant" one!

6. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Also, I forgot to add:

the '75 body is made out of alder, and the Ash P/J is made out of, well, ash. Alder is a warmer sounding wood than ash, but ash has a bit more "punch" to it, IIRC.

Alder will work better for the "thick" sound you're looking for.