1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SX replacement nut for p-bass.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BillyRay, Apr 27, 2009.

1. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    Where can I get a replacement nut for it ? Every place I hit only has jazz bass replacements, blanks or Fender styled ones, with the radius at the bottom. I don't have access to fret files so getting blanks is out of the question.

I converted my SX to fretless and the high nut makes the first position notes very sharp. Low F and Bb are all but unplayable with heavy rounds due to the tension. I'd try to take the nut off to sand the bottom, but all the threads I have read about swapping the nut on an SX have the original nut break or chip the second action is taken to remove it. The G string slot also chipped a bit when I changed strings and one snapped...

With proper relief, my action is almost half a centimeter high on the E string at the octave. And reducing the saddle height introduces buzzing because the nut is screwing with the strings geometry on the neck.