Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SX Rickenbacker copy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Basroil, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Basroil

Basroil

May 25, 2005
    Lake Forest, CA
    That would be sweet! I mean, they're making a Stingray copy, so why not a RIC copy? I can afford a real RIC so Id love if they made a Rickenbacker copy; theyre stuff is usually cheap.

2. Well

Ric is EXTREMELY protective of their designs. So an SX Ric would almost deffinatly mean a lawsuit for SX

if you search around on Ebay you can find Ric copies eveyr now and then. I forget who used to make them, but some of them were apparently pretty good. Plus you can always buy Ric pups direct from their site and replace it. Gbase might have some too

3. Basroil

Basroil

May 25, 2005
    Lake Forest, CA
    Hm, thats true.

No harm in whishing though! :p

4. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I would buy 3 in an instant :p

5. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

They could probably get away with it as long as they completely changed the headstock. However, if they did that, no one would recognize it as a Ric copy.

Otherwise, if they so much as mentioned Rickenbacker, they'd be in lawsuit city.

6. Basroil

Basroil

May 25, 2005
    Lake Forest, CA
    Yeah. Oh well.

7. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    How did rickenbacker manage to do this while what seems to be almost every other popular manufacturer had copies made

8. It mostly seems that the major manufacturers only care when the product the competition puts out actually rivals the actual brand

Example : Fender sued Ibanez over their P/Jazz basses back in the 70s because Ibanez was putting out a high quality instrument and people were starting to realize they were as good as a lot of Fenders

now do you really think that they're necessarily worried about J. Reynolds copies taking away their business? http://www.apollosaxes.com/gremelbas.html

9. fattie64

fattie64

Oct 3, 2004
  10. I'm willing to bet it actually will.

11. So the thread title totally gave me the hope that there was in fact an SX copy of Rics coming out. Damn.

Kind of on topic, does anyone know of any basses that aren't Rics or Ric copies that'll take Ric Pups?

12. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    You got me very very excited, even though comming into the thread I knew the history of RIC's lawsuits, damn you.

13. Vigier nicked a Ric 4003 shape years ago.

14. This is NOT true of Rickenbacher. They pursure ANY infringement of their product, whether it be an actual bass design or even something seemingly harmless as referring to a Ric knockoff (70's Ibanez) as a "Rickenbacher copy" in an Ebay ad.

The issue of headstocks is one that is limited entirely to Fender AFIK

15. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
  16. Ric actually has a copyright on every aspect of their designs,which include headstock(s),body shape(s) truss rod covers,pickups even the "F" holes on their hollow\semi-hollow bodys...pretty much everything you would see on a Ric..(except for maybe the pickguards)which I think was a smart move on their part.

17. slickhare

slickhare

Feb 2, 2005
    Univox Stereo Basses are nice copies. although it's hard to find one because they're pretty old

18. . . . and they vigorously enforce their trademarks and copyrights. If that practice is not maintained, they can loose their right to protection under the law.

19. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan