Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SX SBJ 5 String basses... Questions.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eilif, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    My brother had a good experience with a SJB 4 stringer. But I know that for cheap basses, a 5 stringer can be a world of difference. Has anyone had any experience with SX SBJ series 5 string basses I am looking for my next project bass, and I love the look of the block necks that are now available. A few questions.

Are the Necks stable?

Are the pickups balanced sounding from string to string?

Is the construction solid?

How do they look in real life.

Thanks,
    Karl

2. I cant say anything about the 5er's but I can tell you the construction of these basses is pretty tight and it looks way better in person then from any pic I can take but here is one anyway

[​IMG]

3. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    the neck on the five is the same size as the four string just be aware of that. I just bought one (not even here yet) and I found out when someone had told me yesterday. I guess I just overlooked it.

4. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I bought a fretless 5 for kicks. One thing that I noticed, aside from what was mentioned in the previous posts, was that the hole in the bridge for the B string was rather small. The bass came with lighter guage strings, and when I tried to change the B string to a 130, I had a tough time threading the string through the hole. I had to file it out a bit in order to get the B string through easily.

Otherwise this bass is an excellent bass for the price.

5. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Thanks for the info. Another Question...
    Are the neck heel and nut width the same as the 4 strings, or just the heel, I mention this because the heel measurement is fine, but a 5 string jazz with the same nut width as a 4 is a mighty tight squeeze.

6. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Sorry, I sold mine awhile back because the string spacing on the 5 was too narrow for me, so I can't take any measurements. I'm recollecting that the string spacing for narrower than most 5s all the way down to the bridge. Someone with one of these basses would be better qualified to answer than I. :smug: