1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

sx shortscale fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by notverygood, Jul 31, 2012.

1. notverygood

notverygood

Feb 11, 2010
    Found these on ebay for $140 w/shipping. I ran a search but didn't really find what I was looking for. how upgradable are these in terms of drop in replacement parts? I'm talking neck and pickups, if needed. My idea is to have a playable bass right away that I can upgrade over time. I had thought about building a warmoth, but the sx is non plywood alder so that could save me some money I'm thinking.

2. There are loads of threads about what people have done to SX basses. All I can say is that you found an inexpensive way to check out fret less basses.

3. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    SX Basses are very nice for the money, usually just fine right out of the box. Some folks have had issues with tuners hardware etc. Rondo Music has excellent customer service, Kurt will take care of you if there is a problem. I have a pretty good sized collection of Vintage Gibsons, Hofners, Fenders, Kliras, Hamers well you get the idea. I own a SX '75 Jazz bass clone that just kills, The only thing I did to it was put a Dimarzio J pup in the neck position. Best Playing "Fender" I own. SX75J005. SX75J003. SX75J002.

4. notverygood

notverygood

Feb 11, 2010
    So everything is pretty much "standard sized"? It's not like a squier bronco where everything is weird sized?

5. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Well the pickup dropped right in on mine. For things like tuners you will have to match hole dia. I think it is 11/16 but I am not sure. If you change bridges you may be drilling new holes. A Fender pickguard will not fix your SX bass but there are plenty of places that can make them for you.