SX SJB-62MG LPB Review / Fender Jazz Bass Clone (With Pics!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by troyus, Jan 23, 2009.

1. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

... and what does that have to do with the price of Tea at the SX factory caffeteria? ;)

2. I noticed the last thread you posted some pics of you live you are holding your Fender...imagine if it was a Steinberg clone from the 80's :eek: Rock on!!!

3. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

If I liked the Stienberger, or it's clones, what would it matter?

Honestly don't remember what thread or pix your refering to, but seeing how I own a couple of Fenders, and I do gig/hold them ;) on occation, that does't surprise me.

Still don't see the point.

4. Why don't you suggest how Warpticon can string his new strings through is bass?

5. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I don't think that will be necissary. Seem's Warpticon has a good handle on the situation. ;)

...again Marty, what on Earth does that have to do with the conversation here?

6. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    That looks hot bro.

7. :meh: I didn't get the thing about drilling and filling...

I've read the last couple of reviews by Troyus and they really don't help your case...

8. Skarekrough

Skarekrough

Aug 7, 2006
    Not entirely...

The fiver I got in early December came with what I believe are D'addario's.

I fully expected to have to pull them off right away but was quite shocked to find that they were brand new as well as of good quality.

Aside from an issue with a tuner (missing screw....he sent me a replacement tuner) the whole thing has been played a ton and is exactly as it was when I took it out of the box.

9. Ephminus

Ephminus

Nov 6, 2008
    OMG! What's the story on the Burgundy Mist Fender Jazz? That is the exact bass I've been wanting to get for years and years.

10. Right, because solder made you announce that you wouldn't buy one for 7.8 trillionth time, like anybody gives a damn.

11. bad_andy

bad_andy Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Back to the OP: This is the exact model I own. I purchased it about 2+ years ago and seem to have missed most of the quality control issues you mentioned. I did have scratchy pots and a slight single coil buzz in the pickups when soloed but no worse than many other Jazzes I've played. I finally started to upgrade it a bit. Bart 9J pickups really brought it to life sonically. Up next are a high mass bridge and an Audere preamp. Having said that, I've taken it to several gigs over the time I've had it and it always got comments about the look and vintage sound. Sure it's no Sadowsky, but after I'm done with my upgrades I'll have one h*** of a bass for less spent than an new MIM Fender. Great review, BTW.

12. Tony-bobs

Tony-bobs

Aug 19, 2008
    Spearfish, SD
    That's what I love about these basses, pretty much giggable from the box, but they also make a great mod platform for parts that only come on custom basses and at the end, you've saved a ton of money on a bass that is totally your's!:hyper:

13. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

Really? This sounded very consistant with what I've said regarding my SX P's, and other SX instruments I've encountered in the past.

Servicable out of the box, and with a little fine tuning, can be extreemly good.

Did I miss something here?

It seems that Troyus found some production issues with the Jag copy, but I honestly have NO EXPERIENCE with that particular model, so I really can't comment on it.

Seems to me that the overall impression of this particular J being reviewed was pretty good, and about what you'd expect. Yup, a few little things that could use some attention, but overall a very good value.

Again, am I missing something here Marty? I don't recall anyone claiming these were world beaters straight out of the box.

14. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

Why didn't you "work hard" and "save for the bass you really want".? ;)

Wasn't that your sig for a while?

Seems you still don't own that Ricky... What's with that?:D

So let me make sure I've got this right..

You buy the Ibanez, because it resembles the Rickenbacker that you really wanted.... and that's cool.

BUT, those who buy SX basses, that resemble Fenders are "tone deaf" and foolish.

O.K.. I gotcha!

15. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Thoroughly Nice Guy Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    LOL!

Some guy from China must have stolen a TBer's girlfriend...

16. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Marty, that's a different manufacture, and an etirely different instrument. How are they comparable, other than the country of origin?

This is like saying that a Jennings, and a Colt are the same deal, because they're both made in the U.S.A.

Explain to me how I've been burned out of $250.

This I've got to hear. ;)

17. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Truely you speak. I've found that I'm pretty happy with the hardware and electronics that came with my SX. All I did was shield it and set it up and I've done a fair amount of gigging with it.

Maybe I got lucky, but the neck on mine is really great, as is the fretwork. I can set this up to play with very low action and no string buzz.

Most of the "issues" I have with the bass are purely cosmetic. If I close my eyes and play, it feels and sounds almost as good as my much more expensive basses.

18. This ad has been on Craigslist for a week...no one will buy this bass. he had it a short time and wants a better bass, makes sense to me. I see wicked deals for used bass's all the time on Craigslist and sales at my local store all the time...I guess if you were in a remote area a Rondo bass would suit your needs.
    SX SPJ 3 tone sunburst BASS GUITAR with hard case - $250 (Richmond Hill/Aurora)

If I get into a band this year I might go out and buy a Rickenbacker they hold there value ;)...have a drummer and possibly a guitarist.

19. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Excellent review. It's nice to see something positive about SX for a change. However, many of your "complaints" are remedied by the SX LTD models. Still, Bravo for a thorough and positive SX review.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021