SX SJB-62MG LPB Review / Fender Jazz Bass Clone (With Pics!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by troyus, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Skarekrough

Skarekrough

Aug 7, 2006
    Nope. I also didn't attempt to tell someone what foods they should buy even though I've never tried them myself.

If this is all you have to offer for 25 years then you really haven't been paying attention during them.

2. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    No risk.
    Sadowsky has a 7 day trial period. Rondo/SX has a 30 trial period.

3. I for one am looking forward to the new batch of SX basses coming in the next few weeks. I'd like a 3ts LTD, but we'll see what happens. I'm new to the bass and like to tinker, so better to learn the ropes on a less expensive bass. I'll get the American Jazz later... Thanks for the review.

4. I must have missed it. What's going on at Rondo over the next few weeks? I assume Rondo is like everyone else, and will come out with different models and colors soon?

5. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    ... and you actively discorage people from buying that same bass with NO/ZIP/ZERO/NADA real world experience with them.

The difference is that my opinion, and the opinion of others here on the subject is from playing/gigging SX basses, while yours is pulled out of the sky.

6. You're too kind. I think he pulled it from somewhere else.

7. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    Right on man, yeah... the pots on this one were good, just the other problems... Are they the best basses in the world? For the price, yes. :hyper:

8. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Let's revisit this one again.

Marty, are you insinuating that my opinon, after 4 years of real world use, isn't valid?

Are you also insinuating that my opinion is not worthy of consideration?

Should I be personaly insulted that you equate my positive experiences with a product that I regularly use with very good results with Sea Monkeys?

9. Tony-bobs

Tony-bobs

Aug 19, 2008
    Spearfish, SD
    maryman5000, do you actually have a point in all of your mindless ramblings? If you had come into the discussion with something usefull, like, "I wouldn't buy one of these b/c it's only a clone and no creativity went into the production," or, "These basses use poor hardware and you'll spend more money getting it gig-worthy than they're worth," we would have let it go. But you barely put together a cognitive thought and then berated savit for giving real reasons why an SX is worth having. At the very least, give us a reason why you wouldn't buy an SX or quit trolling and get a real hobby!

10. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    Yeah I will have to do something on that later. Last year I tested some different bodies and found one that had a sonic response I really liked, I sent it off for paint and had a birdseye maple neck built for it with a palisander rosewood fretboard. That stuff smells like candy.

And yeah it does outperform the SX. ;)

3221270748_ced30da46f.jpg

11. Judging by all the other threads, no. He doesn't, beyond being a clown and talking about how he's wasted 25 years.

12. [​IMG]

I'd just like to add that Sea Monkeys are actually pretty darned cool, and should not be associated with a mail order rip-off.

13. 3221270748_ced30da46f.jpg

LOVE THAT KIT!

Hey Warpticon...something I did on Garageband.com :)

Awards!

Track of the Day on 28Oct2005 in Spoken Word
    Track Of The Week on 31Oct2005 in Spoken Word
    #21 Best Bass in Spoken Word, all-time
    Best Male Vocals in Spoken Word, week of 21Nov2005
    Best Drums in Spoken Word, week of 7Nov2005
    Best Bass in Spoken Word, week of 31Oct2005
    Best Bass in Spoken Word, week of 7Nov2005
    Best Bass in Spoken Word, week of 28Nov2005
    Best Lyrics in Spoken Word, week of 7Nov2005
    Best Mood in Spoken Word, week of 7Nov2005

14. Hey, martyman5000 posted something completely irrelevant. Must be a day of the week.

15. Ephminus

Ephminus

Nov 6, 2008
    You mean that's not a Fender? Wow...incredible job done on that. The only burgundy mist jazzes I've seen with the painted headstock are vintage and are boocoo bucks. I thought for a second that they reissued them or something.
    I had the stratocaster limited edition guitar for years and I just recently sold it. Now I miss it.

Fender are you listening?
    Bring back the burgundy mist jazz basses!.........you bastards.

16. Ephminus

Ephminus

Nov 6, 2008
    Yeah, well they never actually grow into sea monkey people like the ad shows. Frankly I was very disappointed and felt ripped off.

17. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    Hey can we stop fighting in the review thread... that's a selfish thing to do and that's not why the review is up and it's also not why people are reading the thread.

Thanks... :)

18. Me too buddy :(

I'm a writer of scripts and put it to a bass line years back...I got many rap and hip hop guys write to me :) I've never done anything similar since. this is my Ibanez roadstar II with a fretless neck...

http://www.garageband.com/artist/fantoalysteria

Well, it keeps the thread going for you Troyus if that is any conciliation.

19. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    Nah, not a 'real' Fender. I'll probably get some heat for saying it but this is better than a Fender... Love the classic look and vibe but wanted better woods, pickups, hardware. That one's my good 'China' for lack of a better term. I don't think the poor thing is ever going to see a stage.

But anyways there was an FSR run of MIM jazz basses just like these done a few years ago, pretty nice too, they just weigh a ton. :bassist:

Keep your eyes peeled I've seen them used for around 600, if you don't mind schlepping the weight they are a pretty good deal for what you are getting. If I wasn't so fussy about heavy instruments I probably would have just done that... certainly would have been cheaper and easier.

Also don't know if you've seen the color in person but Burgundy Mist is one of those colors the human eye can appreciate way more than a lens. If you like it in photos, you'll love it in the flesh!

20. Ephminus

Ephminus

Nov 6, 2008
    The strat I had was burgundy mist and you are exactly right, the lens does nothing for the color.

You did good today man.
    You rekindled my desire for an SX and informed me that I may find a MIM Burgundy Mist Jazz. I have looked quite a bit though. I can only seem to track down $12,000 dollar vintage jazzes in this color. $600 is a little more in my price range.

By the way....just checked out your bands myspace. Finally something I dig!
    Well, I do have a passion for all things undead. Just finished reading "The Zombie Survival Guide" although there was nothing in the book about Zombie Surf Camps. I guess it's not the definitive guide.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 21, 2021