SX SJB-62MG LPB Review / Fender Jazz Bass Clone (With Pics!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by troyus, Jan 23, 2009.

1. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    Well, we try and keep a low profile, you know? The last thing we want is those living kooks invading our surf break!!! :D

2. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Burgundy Mist MIM? The search begins! :)

3. Ephminus

Ephminus

Nov 6, 2008
    LOL! Living kooks?
    You must've meant those pesky "meaties."

4. Ephminus

Ephminus

Nov 6, 2008
    Oh great, now I have competition. haha

5. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    LOL.

6. DFW_Bass

DFW_Bass

Jul 8, 2008
    Dallas
    I played my sx jazz at a gig last weekend, no cheap gig either and I had my fender jazz bass as a backup, I did this on purpose to see if I would get responses on it, and indeed I did, I was asked if I had the american fender, and some thought it was a sadowsky (maybe because of the headstock), but after I told them how much I paid and what kind, they were shocked and a few asked where can I purchase that bass.

I played both basses that night and asked some of my friends could they tell the difference, all said no. I used dr lowriders on both basses.

Moral of the story, you don't need a polo shirt to impress your date, sometimes target will still get you laid.

7. I'm sorry but are you playing at a bass guitar convention?

8. Ephminus

Ephminus

Nov 6, 2008
    Where did you get that idea from? I read the same thing and nowhere does it say anything about a bass guitar convention.

9. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    The SX J Basses are a great platform for modding. I am in the process of upgrading all the hardware and electronics/pickups. I have some Antiquity IIs on the way and a Bayou wiring harness as well. Nice work by the way.

10. DFW_Bass

DFW_Bass

Jul 8, 2008
    Dallas
    No sir, no bass convention here...I really didn't get why they though sadowsky, maybe because from far away they just seen a S,

The pickups where stock and no mods were added. I just wanted to test my sx with other ears, musicians and non musicians...

11. Regardless I enjoyed looking at your myspace and listening to your playing...no one will mistake your Fender.

12. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

I've had many similar experiences with my SX P bass.

I played on old Vintage Fender for years before, so maybe people just assumed it was expensive. Lot's of dropped jaws when I tell people how much it cost. I get plenty of inquiries about the bass, and the look of shock and disbelief is always the same.

A favorite was a kid came up to me after a show, and says " I play a P bass too, but I don't have a really nice one like yours. I just have the cheap Mexican one"

My reply was "Those Mexican built Fenders are nice basses, and mine's just a Chinese Copy that only cost $109."

Kids face was priceless. :)

13. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
  14. A Great review and an excellent modification article. Enjoyed it tremendously.
    I have a short scale fretless version. I know these things scream for mods, but I like it as it is. Stone dead quiet when both pups are full on. Great value for a bass if you want a knock-a-bout bass or smoething for a mod project.:smug:

15. Ephminus

Ephminus

Nov 6, 2008
  16. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    l_04b9b2c6ec024242a8b988ea75fabec1.png

Well the other night I could not resist, and brought the SX out for a show. I enjoyed playing it through a rig that has an MSRP of about 20 times the bass, though there was some complaining after the set as to why I didn't bring out the "good china" so to speak... You don't know great bass tone until it's gone and replaced with good bass tone I guess. Hehe.

That's my chick in the back banging away on the drums... her new band, and her first show! She lost a stick once but did not miss a beat. :)

17. Rendog92

Rendog92

Jan 2, 2009
    Louisiana
    How do you install pots and pickups? Im sorta scared, but one day im gonna build a pbass replica with an sx, and some good pickups.

18. I gigged my new SX jazz fiver for the first time this week and got a similar reaction. I explained despite what it says on the headstock it's neither "vintage" nor "custom" nor "handmade" but it kicks butt nevertheless! :bassist:

19. Hey troyus, thanks for the great review. Almost makes me want to buy another SX tonight! :D

20. Great photo...looks like its 150 degrees in there :) is that the guitarists amp behind you?

l_04b9b2c6ec024242a8b988ea75fabec1.png