SX SJB-62MG LPB Review / Fender Jazz Bass Clone (With Pics!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by troyus, Jan 23, 2009.

1. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Troyus, Troyus,Troyus YOU DA MAN!!

First off thanks for a really, honest, and thorough review. I had been wanting an SJB-62 MG LPB and you kinda pushed me over the edge. But why you are really the man was for suggesting the series/parallel mod AND posting the diagram.

I NOW have a NEW favorite passive pup config! :bassist: Those J's in series have a nice boosted mid, similar enought to a P to get by for me. :hyper:

I modded the pot assembly from an SJB-57C (and then just swapped the whole assembly into the MG) and it had a 250k tone pot, so I ordered a 250k switch pot. I didn't check the volume pots, but I'd be kinda surprised if SX had different value pots for volume and tone on the same bass. Maybe SX has 500k pots in some and 250ks in others?

Anyways, thanks for the advice, and I'm diggin' your burgundy mist matching headtock clone too. Maybe Kurt at Rondo will see fit to put something in SX's ear and get us one ready made. ;)

2. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    Hey thanks, yeah the SVT setup is obscured by the two of us, but it sounded good with them. Later that night I played with the zombies and they weren't as hot for it, they like that piano-like wenge/ebony neck tone and I can't quite pull that out of a standard maple/rosewood neck. :bassist:

3. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    Glad to help out man, that's what TB is all about! From what I can tell SX always uses 500k pots for everything they do... but if you only switch to 250k for the tone pot it won't be a problem.

Also I don't know what you use for the switch bridge on the on-on series parallel wiring posts but I like to use a snip off a G guitar string and solder that in. ;)

I noticed Fender Japan does something like that on the Jaguar when I took mine apart...

4. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Hmmm, interesting that some would have 500ks and some 250ks, but I know what was in that plate stock 'cause I measured it myself!

On the G string thing, that is a good tip (I'll try to remember it for next time. Fortunately, I was able to thread my bared wire through both eyelets, after, ahem, several attempts.

5. doggo

doggo

Dec 18, 2008
    Wilmette, IL
    Wait, what? It's not? Oh maaaannn.... I feel so... used.

Just got the SX SPJ-62 FR Red with black PG. I too will echo the outrage at the stock strings. Scratchy pots. That funky orange finish on the neck.

I'm a new old learner, so I don't have much experience with different instruments. My first bass many years ago was a Kramer aluminum neck. That bass was flawless as far as I could tell. Experienced players liked it.

Now I have a couple of Ibanezes and this SX for to and from lessons and a general I-don't-care-if-the-cats-knock-it-over and experimental platform.

I dunno though, all my basses are made in China. Looks like they're learning the trade pretty well over there. It may be, in time, that we're touting the "made in China" as a selling point. Comrade.

6. tsuiy0

tsuiy0

Nov 22, 2007
    France
    I thought it could be useful to have some other pictures of the same model, so here is mine, freshly received :

7. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    Well it has been over 6 months since the original review and I guess it is time to provide an update. After tinkering around on and off with the SX bass I have really built it into something I would be sad to let go.

Since purchasing I have replaced:

• The neck (a little thicker than I prefer, and also since the body was so light, wanted a lighter neck with less wood).
    • The tuners (the new neck, a MIM Fender Jazz bass neck, came with tuners)
    • The neck plate (to complete the Fender 'look').
    • The pickguard
    • The bridge (went with vintage threaded saddles).
    • The pickups (a set of Fender Noiseless pickups that were sitting around, and they are definitely smoother sounding than the SX pickups).
    • The control knobs (Fender style).
    • Switchcraft jack

And have modified:
    • Body, neck pocket heel (to match up better with the Fender neck).
    • New neck, color matched the headstock with Duplicolor auto paint and clear, applied Fender Decal to the new paint.
    • The control plate (beveled the pickguard facing edge to match the pickguard shape).
    • The threaded bridge saddles (needed to be cut deeper to make up for the decreased depth of the Fender neck (approx 4 mm less), thereby getting low action.
    • The control wiring (VVT with S/P push-pull).

Unmodified parts:
    • Strap buttons

Normally I would not have bothered with all this, but I had so many extra parts sitting around from previous projects that it was just a matter of going through the garage and figuring out what would work. I played it out at a festival the other day, worked great.

Best part... since I lucked out on this SX body, she still weighs around 8 and a half lbs. :)

3943101117_4a42c6bd2e_b.jpg
    3943884486_415b823d98_b.jpg

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 28, 2021