1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SX SPB-75 NA vs. Squier Classic Vibe 60s Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ryan Mohr, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
  2. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    I know some people have had good experiences with SX's, but I have also heard that the quality can be bad sometimes. To be safe, I would go with the Squier. They really sound a lot better than they used to.

3. tapp01

tapp01

Apr 10, 2008
    Wilmington, NC
    I am the proud owner of both an SX and a Squier bass. Both are great. However, with SX, you cannot try before you buy. Most likely, a retailer in your area will have the Squier. Do yourself a favor try the Squier first. Or, you can do as I did and pull the trigger on the SX sight unseen (this is obviously more of a gamble). Rondo has a great return policy and CS second to none and the SX is about $150 less. Either one will undoubtedly do the job you want.:)

4. Based on my experiences with both (I own two SXs), I'd go SX. If you get a lemon, return it for another. As said, Rondo's CS is top notch. And you save cheddar with the SX.

5. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    +1 on the SX recommendation. I've already bought one SX and I am definitely going back for seconds in the near future. SX rocks!

6. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    IMO the squier since it has resale value if you look to get rid of it. Plus all the newer squiers are real nice. I had pretty good luck with my SX jazz but had a horrible P bass from them.

7. TMacATK

TMacATK

Jul 9, 2008
    Davis, CA
    That Squier looks sweet! Way nicer than any SX out of the box.

I would try it out at a music store and if you don't like it, go for the SX and be happy you saved 100+ dollars.

8. All the reasoning so far is solid. Definitely try the Squier bass in question if you can find it in person. If you can't, well, then it's a mail order crapshoot regardless, so go with the SX first since returning it is a lot easier if you end up not liking it perfectly.

9. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    SX bodies are alder or ash. Squier, as far as I know, uses agathis and basswood.

I'm not knocking Squiers; but I've had great luck with SX for less $$$.

Plus, the Squier VMs I've played (Telebass and Jazz) had necks I didn't care for at all. In fact, the neck on the VM Jazz ended up warping so bad the shop had to send it back.

I've only played the '50s style CV P-bass and again, it sounded great but I didn't like the neck much.

10. Another vote for the SX. I haven't tried the ASH P, But I got an Alder bodied P & it's a ripper. Dunno whether I got lucky or what(probly not really as I've seen SO many ppl happy w/ theire SX's) but it's better than MIM P I had previously & at least as good as a friends MIJ P that I've tried on a few occasions. I eventually put new pups in it & is now even better, but it was a beauty stock. Neck join is TIGHT, & it sounds GREAT acoustically & plays great! What more????? A "name"??? HAH!!

11. I would go with the Squier. A couple of reasons, 1. Quality, your going to get a certain standard of quality with the Squiers, SX can be hit and miss and if you get a lemon you have to go thru the hassle of returning it. 2. The Vibe, that Sonic Blue is total vibe all the way, it'll turn heads. Besides, I own a Squier FVM Fretless and it's built very well. I also own a '08' MIA Fender Jazz V so I know quality when I see it.:smug:

12. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Thanks for all the opinions, do you think both will get me there tonal-wise? Are they both about the same brightness?

13. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I haven't heard the pickups on either bass, (though I've owned SX and squier basses) I would say that the SX will probably be a bit brighter than the Squire due to it's ash body.

Also, you should be aware that due to the ash body, the SX will likely be considerably heavier than the Squier. I had an SX ash jazz, and it was considerably heavier than my guitarist's vintage modified p-bass.

14. GtenderG

GtenderG

Feb 29, 2008
    Played the Squier on Tuesday. It was light and well balances. The fit and finished looked very good. I too am considering another P style bass (I have a 78-P) and this thing felt great - it had just been setup by the tech of store I was in. Plugged into Fender Rumble amp - it sounded very good - deep lows - crisp highs. (Didn't have time to fool with amp).

The neck was very comfortable for me. The fretboard and frets seemed perfect... Cost was $299.00.

I love the color too... Makes it very hard to choose.
    I'd go SX over the Squier VMS but this bass felt like I've had it for years - very comfortable....

15. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Kind of like the Squier's finish more.

16. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    This was the 60s Classic Vibe? Awesome! Maybe I will just have to save up more.

17. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    I've my sights on a '60s Vibe... secret project... hehe. Well... maybe not so secret... no pics 'til it's finished!

18. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I say Squier, mainly because you can go to GC or whatever your local music store is and pick out the best of the bunch. Usually, the big stores stock 2-4 of these basses because they are inexpensive so the move quickly. You can play each one and pick the best feeling/sounding one. You can't do that with an SX. Sure, you can return an SX if you get a bad one, but thats a PITA for me. IMO, I would rather pay the extra money to pick out my own bass.

19. Very good point...