Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SX, Squier, or Rogue?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SGT. Pepper, Mar 3, 2006.

1. SX

101 vote(s)
    76.5%
  2. Squire

28 vote(s)
    21.2%
  3. Rogue

3 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    Which would you choose for a cheepie?

2. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

I have been very pleased with my SX.

3. FeelTheGroove

FeelTheGroove

Dec 2, 2005
    I Second that

4. If you are near a city with lots of stores, Squier because you can go to the stores, play a bunch of used and new ones and cherry pick the best one for you. I voted Squier for this reason. If you live near Rondo, SX or are definately going mail order, SX.

Peace,
    S

5. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    SX.

Good bass, great price.

6. TechZilla

TechZilla

Jun 18, 2005
    Owensboro, KY
    Belive or not I own one of each. Both the SX and the Rogue beat the squier hands down with the only possible exception being the hardware (bridge/tuners).

7. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i picked SX, though i've only ever played a Squier. i am pleased with the Squier for what is, but just cuz every seems to recommend SXs, i'll stick with them.

8. sx or squier, the rogues i've played are not very good.

9. audiotom

audiotom

May 31, 2005
    new orleans
    rogue - a toy
    squire - too much clunkiness
    sx - feels good right off, a few mods and wow
    china rules

10. I have actually played a lot of really good squires which have amazing action, but I have also played some which feel terrible. I love my SX and even though the set up on mine isn't amazing it is still a wonderful bass for the price.

SX all the way

11. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    I have been playing a Squire (Japan) for almost 20 years... Upgraded it as it broke and as sweet as an American. I would love to try an SX. If they had funkier body styles (Explorer, BC Rich etc) I would buy one. SX are very well thought of on the board however the upgrades (Hardware, Electronics) seem to happen with SX as well. I would save the $ and buy something you won't have to upgrade in 6 months.

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sx... or a good squier if you can find one at a shop.

13. I like this SX fretless jazz bass. I want it!

[​IMG]

14. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    SX by a mile.

15. bassksun

bassksun Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    SX...Make it your own!

16. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    SX, no contest. But if you want something that DOESN'T emulate a Fender, get an OLP Musicman copy.

17. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Heh, that's basically an abbreviated form of what I planned to write. No competition here, IMO.

+1.

18. MajesticFrog

MajesticFrog

Feb 22, 2006
    NC
    Actually, I am gonna break the poll here and say ibanez GSR200. That is what was recommended to me when I started, and I got one. It was a fantastic bass. Excellent tone. VERY playable neck. It was also pretty cheap at 180. I understand you can get them for a lot less.

If you can't do that, SX. Squier are overpriced for the quality. I haven't tried the Rogues.

19. You will have to spend a couple more bucks but do a little searching on the used market and find a Tribute by G&L L-2000. You will find it to be much more versatile than either Rogue, SX, or Squier, and unlike those three, you won't have to upgrade the pickups, as it already has the American G&L MFD humbuckers. Check out G&L's web site.

BTW, someone also mentioned the OLP. All four (OLP, Rogue, SX, and Squier) have something in common. They are all clones of guitars designed by Leo. G&L is the real deal!

http://www.glguitars.com/frameset.htm

Guitars by Leo...

Good luck wichever route you choose.

Rob

20. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    SX x 1000000