1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SX: sunburst wood matching and maple neck tint?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eilif, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Alright folks, two questions in one post. Daring I know.... If anyone can answer these questions regarding an sjb 57, it would be especially helpfull, but any sx expeience with the following would be great.

1) For those of you with sunburst SX's.....
    How is the matching of the wood pieces? How does it compare to Fender?

2) For those of you with 4 string Maple SX necks. What color is the tinting of the maple? (plain maple, vintage yellowed, in between)

I had an SX 5'er, and the neck was completely plain maple colored, but some of the 4 string necks look pretty tinted on the web pics.

The reason for this thread is that I have a tung oiled ash body jazz currently mated to a vintage tinted fender "62" replacement neck. it's a bit incongruous, and the SJB 57 seems to have a very plain maple neck and a sunburst body. So I am thinking that I could switch the bodies and start a new project with the "matching" (if the neck tint is plain natural) tung oil body and maple neck... Anyone done anything like this before?

2. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    FWIW: The ones that look yellow usually are vintage tinted. The replacement necks don't come with a finish on them though so the maple ones would look plain. They only have P necks in stock right now though it looks like.

You can always strip the yellow finish and make it natural or oiled or whatever. I'm planning to do a strip job on an SX neck here pretty soon.