1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SX truss rod feels tight

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by wideyes, Mar 12, 2010.

1. wideyes

wideyes

May 9, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    Hey folks. Yet another SX setup question :rolleyes::D

I've been doing some very educational tweaking/adjustment with my SX neck, and am finding that the truss rod feels very tight in this neck. What I mean is, the neck has a decent amount of relief in it, and I'm already feeling it very hard to tighten the truss rod. Now, what's tight to me vs. to Chewbacca varies, so I'm not sure how far I can push it, but I'm worried I'm not going to get this neck straight without snapping the rod. I've heard they sometimes need lube - could this be the problem?

Thanks for helping a setup noob!

2. PSPookie

PSPookie Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Are you loosening the strings before you try to turn the truss rod?

3. xaxxat

xaxxat

Oct 31, 2008
    SX's have double acting truss rods so they may feel a bit different.

4. wideyes

wideyes

May 9, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    Ah. No I'm not. Is this standard practice? :bag:
    Will definitely do that.

Hmmm, interesting. Do you mean they're double-ended?

5. wideyes

wideyes

May 9, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    Hmmm, well, there was good info out there when I did a search, so my bad for posting before searching. Thanks anyways!

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020