1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SX truss size

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lavmonga, Mar 1, 2008.

1. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    I just got my hands on an SX J bass, and the neck is feeling like it needs a 1/4 turn truss adjustment....problem is, non of my alan keys fit the truss rod. This is weird because they fit my other basses. Anyone know off-hand what size wrench to use?

2. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I don't know...have you tried 4mm?

3. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Why not pop on down to the local hardware and pick up a set of T handled allen wrenches in metric and standard? Then you will have one for any bass that is adjusted from the headstock...

4. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    All of my SXes are 4mm. Take your time and move the strings enough to be able to try a full 60 degree swing of the wrench. The wrench won't go in unless it is perfectly lined up.

5. BassBob185

BassBob185

Oct 25, 2007
    Rocking Chair
    Make sure you loosen the strings before tightening

6. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Why?

7. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Less stress (preload) on the truss rod. Consequently, less chance of stripping the threads. Also, easier to turn.