SX - Upgraded version for sale?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChiefLongDong, Jan 23, 2009.

1. ChiefLongDong

ChiefLongDong

Nov 18, 2008
    So, rondo claims http://www.rondomusic.com/sjb75ltdcar.html has all upgraded parts over the other versions available.

Is the "high mass" bridge and other upgrades worth the increase in price? Has anyone tried one of these to know if they are any different than the regular SX's?

Thanks.

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Everyone that's gotten one says pretty much 'yes'.

3. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Yes definately. The LTD versions of SX basses are far and away better than the standard versions. They have upgraded electronics and better pickups. They also have hand-filed frets.

I've owned two LTD versions of SX basses and I would never buy a standard version if a LTD version was available.

4. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    While the standard SJB's are quite OK, the tuners on the LTD are smoother (they are the same as on the SJB 4+1's). If you would NOT be happy with a standard fender style bridge, then you should compare the increase in cost with what you would buy to replace a stock bridge with.

Though I do not own an LTD, I have played a fretless one, and I do feel that the cost differential is worth it, but I got most of my SXes below regular cost and modded them instead.

5. ChiefLongDong

ChiefLongDong

Nov 18, 2008
  6. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
  7. ChiefLongDong

ChiefLongDong

Nov 18, 2008
    but it looks crazy cool...

8. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    Yeah that thing would make a NICE coffee table :D

9. I've got a question, where do you find these LTD SX's on their website? On the regular Rondo site I don't see the LTD models. Am I looking in the wrong place? Help me out.:help:

10. jkramer5

jkramer5

Jul 14, 2008
    Fairfield, CA
    They are listed along with the standard versions. If there aren't any then they are out. Lately there have been some in red that come and go. Haven't seen one in a few days tho.

Woop, I take that back here it is
    http://www.rondomusic.com/sjb75ltdcar.html

Was on page 3 of the 4 strings, mixed in with the rest.

11. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Last night in GC a young man was testing a new amp with his new upgraded SX 75LTD. He said he paid $190 with shipping. The bass sounded as good, if not better than, the current GC house brand. And it blew away the Squire Jazz Bass flavor of the month. It has knockoff Hipshot tuners and a much beefier bridge. The kid had is set up with Rotosounds 66s, with the action set very low.
    There are not a lot of things in this world selling for under $200. That's about half the cost of the gig bag I keep my Warwick in. Yikes.

G

12. Geddy Claypool

Geddy Claypool SX J-75/Traben Neo 4 -> SVT-CL/SVT-810E

Aug 3, 2008
    Maryland
    While it's awesome that Kurt thinks about the customers, I think I'd rather save a little coin initially and put in upgrades to my own specs.

13. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    I almost bought the LTD, but I wanted the black block inlays and a black p/g,
    so I didn't buy one. Now I'm gonna spend the money on a Baddass II, some new pickups(including pots and etc), and probably some new tuners.

Talk about a killer bass... ;)

14. Skarekrough

Skarekrough

Aug 7, 2006
    I really wish they'd do a fiver as an LTD....

Heck, I wish they'd get some more of those in!

15. I have a Squier VM Jazz (Fretted) that I love. How does it compare to the SX? Keep in mind that I replaced my bridge and pots... I like the Duncan Designed pups, they sound great.

I don't think that my next bass is going to be an SX... but if I ever decide to take the fretless plunge I will probably go with an SX because I am not sure if the fretless thing is for me.

16. The Dave

The Dave

Jun 23, 2006
    Canyon, Texas
    Do they ever do the 62 style with the rosewood board and the LTD upgrades? That would rock. The bridge looks like a pretty good Hipshot "A Style" clone.

17. zeppelinbass95

zeppelinbass95

Dec 26, 2008
    PA
    I play a squier vintage mod w/ dimarzio pups. Anyone know how they compare

18. Skarekrough

Skarekrough

Aug 7, 2006
    For the record.....I got a total dud of an LTD bass from Rondo.

It was a fretless but the neck was actually "scalloped."

I wouldn't consider the LTD designation the gold standard of getting anything other than the typical crap shoot from Rondo.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021