SX users question?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Philip71, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Philip71

Jul 23, 2004
    Okay so I'm poor and am saving up to get the bass I really want but I noticed alot of you on here are very high on SX basses ....what I wanted to know is for those of you who have SX basses have you ever played them live at a show?....I wanna buy one but I want to be able to use it live as well is that possible?......yes I know I sound stupid so those that have the urge to be a smarta$$ please don't.
  2. I dont GIG just yet- but I am planning on using my Essex for recording some tracks for a friends folk / country album- it's just a different sound than my Fender MIA Jazz. I wouldn't hesitate to use mine live though- they look well built, adn should last the distance.
  3. DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    My SX SPJ-62 has been my main bass.. I have used it live in venues from 20 to 300 people in size.
    This weekend we will be playing to about 1000, and the soundman there likes it quite a bit. I have, however, dropped a set of Dimarzio pickups in it. But to answer the question, yes I play it live on a weekly basis and it has been my rock. I get compliments from the sound guys and various band leaders.. When I tell them what I paid they are floored :)
    I play it through an Ashdown MAG300 and Dr Bass 212 cab, btw...

Cheers - Dan
  4. Went I first got my SX jazz, I would take that and my Modulus Q6 to a gig.. Just incase I started playing it and found I didnt like it.. Now, I have no problem taking it by itself. Actually, sometimes I prefer it when I'm just not in the mood to play 6 string or I want something a bit lighter for the night..
  5. gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    light weight is a plus for playing anytime for me. PLUS they are cheap, so if some looser runs of with it, you dont need to sell your car to get a new bass. I got a set of good stings and american p/j ($75) for the bass and like it quite a bit.
  6. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    i play it for a few songs that i need the deeper vintageish tone. its one of the 60-70's rip off style, with sd antiquity IIs in it.

The EMG equiped Dean beats it on the hifi tone though
  7. DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    Compared to a Stingray, an ESP 5'er and an ESP SG bass copy (not mine), the SX is still my favourite for what I've played live. The ESP SG had EMG pickups as well. Maybe it's the Dimarzios in my SX, but I think they are a phenomenal bass for the money, and a heck of a solid bass at any price. $119 for the wood and parts, $85 for pickups, and a couple of bucks on sandpaper (for the heavily varnished neck) and I'm in love. If it means much.. I just took the bass in to have it rewired (my shoddy soldering job finally was giving in, and I had some 500k pots installed) and the bass tech (who is also the owner and the only authorized Fender dealer/shop in town) said "this is a fine instrument. they knew what they were doing when they put this thing together".

FWIW - I am glad nobody's posted the link to the megathred yet... It seems biased toward us SX lovers.. what if we had one Fender megathred and jumped on everyone who posted a Fender topic? :spit: