1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SX v Squier Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Greyvagabond, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    So I'm thinking of getting a do-it-all beater Jazz bass for gigs. I play a fretless Fender Jazz, a parts P-bass, and a custom exotic wood funky type bass, but during my set list, I always want to switch basses! I've narrowed it down to the fretless and the P bass, but I'd still rather have one bass that's versitile enough to play all our songs (we are a indie-pop rock band myspace.com/thisblueheaven). I'm considering Squier's vintage modified series (which i have played and like), or an SX jazz (which looks better, and I'd modify a bit). Is the quality of SX's similar to that of a good Squier? What do you think?

2. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    Either should do what you want it to do. They are both excellent platforms and with a little work can be as nice as anything out there.

3. hoosierdad

hoosierdad

Sep 1, 2003
    Indiana
    I can't tell you what bass will be better - but I did just receive an SX SJB62BK last week and after a little work it has turned into a nice bass. I intend to use it for jams - outdoor party type events and the smokiest bars. I installed a USA jack, made a new nut and replaced the bridge with a vintage fender - so i could install flatwounds - straightened the neck and presto - pretty good bass. This SX feels better to me than a squier + it has an alder body - but I'm sure there are fine squiers out there.

4. Latest issue of Vintage Guitar, of all magazines, has a glowing review of the SX bass.

5. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    prove it. jk. But I would be interested in seeing a talkbass poll on this.

6. Prove what? Vintage Guitar, October 2007, Vol. 21 No. 12 page 174-175:

"All told, a J-style bass for $120 is a screaming deal, whether it's the SJB-57 as a long-scale starter bass or as a basic four-string for guitarists, especially those with project studios."

7. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    That will do. I was just kidding by the way.:D

8. [grumble] making me work here [grumble]:)

9. Rawkabilly

Rawkabilly

May 4, 2007
    Central IL
    I've owned both. Neither are perfect from the factory, but the SX's have better necks and make darn nice players with a little tweaking. imho, ymmv, etc...........

10. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    That's about right. It's a whole lot easier to upgrade the hardware on the SX than it is to upgrade the wood on the Squier.

11. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    Are the pickguards a standard Fender shape? Are they easy to replace or upgrade?

12. j.a.e.r.i.p

j.a.e.r.i.p

Apr 8, 2007
    i'd go with an SX having had experience with both i love my SX way more, they really are pretty awesome

13. paulorr

paulorr

Apr 5, 2007
    Ah shucks fellas. I have been reading about how everybody just loves the Squire VM's over the SX so I went and bought one. Now you guys say the opposite.

Actually, the pickups on the Squire VM are quite impressive.

I got the 70's version. I sprayed the neck gloss poly and it really makes the guitar looked finished. That stock neck looked like they just didn't spray it to save money, which of course I believe it was satin poly. I like the gloss look much better.

14. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH

Close but not quite. I've modified two fender pickgaurds on two SX's. A jazz and a P. I'm getting better at using those files!

15. I find a satin finish easier and faster to play. I have a Ric 650 with no finish on the neck at all, and it's the fastest guitar I've ever played.

I was reading a recent interview with Geddy Lee who was saying he recently discovered the satin feel and has taken sand-paper to all his bass necks cause he likes the feel so much better.

16. RedsFan75

RedsFan75

Apr 26, 2007
    Cincinnati
    My only issue with my SX.... :D

Is the weight :)

only because I have a bad back, it's not really out of line with other Fender types.

I'm going to satin up the neck a bit, and sand down some of the thick poly, I like the satin feel a bit better.