Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SX vs Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jaymeister99, Oct 8, 2005.

1. jaymeister99

jaymeister99

Aug 2, 2005
    Ok, I know theres a megathread on this. But I want to hear from everybody else on this. How do they compare?

No offense to the many people posting to the megathread on SX, got some great info, but looking for some "somewhat unbiased" opinions on these (or at least biased towards Fenders!).

2. I haven't owned a fender, but I have owned an SX, and played a few fenders.

I've played MIM's and MIA's, and they've both been significantly better than the SX I had.

Not that the SX was bad, but it's a budget instrument which represents good value for money. It's also not a bad candidate for hot-rodding if you get a good one, but in it's stock configuration it's OK, but not outstanding.

Having said that, of course there is a big price difference, so the Fenders should be better.

An SX Jazz will cost you around $300 here in Australia, whilst the MIM's start at around $900.

3. brace yourself for the onslaught of chuckleheads that will proclaim their SX wipes the floor with "any MIM or MIA" Fender they've played.

dee-loo-ded.

Simply put, Rondo's own site essentially says they're nothing more than budget beginner instruments, or passable backups. They're not deluded, so WHY are the owners? They're not bad, but the only Fenders they're gonna "beat" are equal-tier Indonesian squiers.

4. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    National Reso-Phonic Guitars
    my brother has an sx p bass, not bad! not fender though. i have played a few MIM p basses that i thought had a better feel to them. cant judge the sound cuz i didn't a/b the basses. i own a 99 MIA p bass and i think it is the shiznit. i also own a MIA jazz. both great basses that constantly get bashed for some reason. oh well.

5. jwsamuel

jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    I have:

- Fender MIM Standard Precisions Bass
    - Squier Precision Bass Special (P-J)
    - SX SPB-57 Bass

The Fender is easily the best of the three, the Squier is the worst. The SX is in the middle, but it is much closer to the quality of the Fender than it is to the Squier.

If I made the Fender 10 and the Squier 1, the SX would be a 7.

Jim

6. jaymeister99

jaymeister99

Aug 2, 2005
    Thats what I figured. Everybody on the SX megathread proclaims they are anywhere from onpar with the MIM Fenders to being better than MIA Fenders. I didnt think so.

Granted they are probably exceptional for the price, and I would bet they may even be the best beginners basses out there. I was thinking about buying a SX Jazz, before getting a MIM Jazz. Any suggestions?

Im not suprised about them surpassing the Squires. Ive heard nothing but bad things about them lately. I had a 1986 Squier Bullet when I was kid. It was good, well built, excellent craftsmanship, and from what I remember it sounded decent too. It was MIJ. Guess they dont make em like they used to.

7. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Better than MIA Fenders? No. Anyone who believes that is pretty far out there. On par with MIM Fenders? You get good and bad examples of both. My SX is definately better than a lot of Fender MIM's I've played, and not as good as some others. As far as hardware goes, the stuff on a Fender is about 1 step above what you get on an SX. As far as body and neck go, it's a close call. If you're looking for a bass to mod I'd definately buy an SX over a MIM Fender. After you replace eveyrthing you're probably still less than the Fender and will have a better bass. Better value? SX. But if you're looking for the equal of a Fender right out of the box you'll be disappointed, even if only slightly. I don't think you'll find a better bass in that price range though.

8. I have a MIM jazz and SX jazz.. I'm not a SX nut hugger, but the SX was way better than my MIM..

Not everyones experiences have been the same though.

9. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Beginner basses ? who cares i call them a steal for the money and prefer to put it in other equipment and my wallet. If they are on par with a MIM and they are..... i guess you can call a fender MIM a beginners bass too. I have owned 3 MiM fenders an ibanez 200(first bass) and an Ibi BTB400 i now own two SXs both 4 string jazz and a new P. The SXs are at and in my book above all three MIMs i owned and above the Ibi 200 but below the BTB400. I save a lot of money and everybody who has ever heard my SXs love the tone and cant belive the quality of them for so little money. I was a Fender guy and couldnt wait untill i got my first MIM jazz...thank god for SX i save money and have a quality bass....beginners???????? thats in the eye of the beholder and from judging the megathread alot of other good bassists agree ;)

10. For a little over $100 an SX jazz sounds and plays like a jazz bass enough so you can tell if a jazz is really the kind of bass you want.My SX jazz 5 sounds about as good as any bass I've had because the jazz sound is what works for me and the SX does a good job of that.Is it better than a MIM Jazz?I think it sounds at least as good but my MIMs seemed to be built a little better.The 97 Deluxe Jazz I had and the 75 Ash Jazz I had were much better built but didn't sound a whole lot better than the SX.If you want to try a jazz it's a decent bass.

11. I have 2 SX basses that own the MIM fenders I've played. GOOOOOS X

12. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I would go for a Fender before I go for an SX. I played the SX P-bass and found it heavy compared to the Fender and, as has been alluded to already, of lesser quality compared to the MIM's I have owned. Having said that, I would take an SX over most Squiers (though you will find some great Squiers) because of its value to dollar ratio.

13. Worse than Squier? Really? Blows squier away and beats MIM fender IMO. I guess it depends on what ones you play.

14. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Thats funny i feel little diffrence in weight comparing an Sx to a MIM. I also found my new SX P is lighter than my SX jazz. The only edge and it is slight a MIM has over a Sx is a lil bit better hardware(tuners) If you feel a lil better tuners and a few ounces are worth paying around $250-300 for go for it..... i highly doubt you will find a MIM that will out play or sound better for the money you spent.I go to GC alot when out at work just to look around and play alot of basses on my lunch break. I play alot of MIM and MIA cuz i like p and j basses...i have yet to find a MIM that i would pay the diffrence in $$ over my SXs and i bet ive played 50 in the year. The MIAs yea...a diffrent story there but i have palyed a few of them that my trusty SX would of owned...your money.

15. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Feeling a little defensive? Who said they were worse than Squiers? I went and re-read the thread after your post and didn't see that anywhere. I think everyone alluded to the fact that SX are much better than Squier. Your last statement is very correct. You can get dogs and gems from anyone of these basses.

16. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    That may be true in your case but the one I played weighed a tonne. Felt like it was easily over 11 lbs. My MIM P weighed 8lbs 5oz and was a gem to play compared to the SX, weight-wise. It also had much better tone and a nicer neck. I can't comment on the MIM Jazzes, because it was so long ago that I owned one I couldn't accurately compare the two. I did manage to play an SX Jazz and it was as you said very heavy. It didn't compare very well to the Highway 1 Jazz I owned. Night and day.

However one must realize with all basses it is a case of YMMV.

17. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    It all depends on how much money you want to pay. The MIM is probably marginally better than a SX, but they are way more expensive. Once all the mods are done to the SX, it will be a better bass than the MIM and STILL costs less. I bought a SX p-bass shortscale. The hardware and pickups were not MIM quality in my opinion. The bridge metal is already flaking off in a couple of spots. I put a set of EMG actives (all new wiring, pots & jack) and a set of hipshot ultralite tuners and now its a great bass.

18. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Same experience here.

I sold the MIM. Still have the SX.

I must be one of 'dem "chuckleheads". ;)

19. jaymeister99

jaymeister99

Aug 2, 2005
    Well then, once rondo is stocking some standard lefty jazz basses again I will pick one up.

The way I figure it will take me about another $150 in mods to bring up to the quality/playability I want. So looks like about a $270 total investment. A heck of a lot less than I would for a MIM Jazz. Not to mention should I not like the SX I can always rip the mods off, replace the original stuff and sell it. Use the mods on a MIM Jazz if I should choose to.

I know, somebody is going to tell me that the stock SX beats a MIM Jazz. Right. Heard it before, and still doubt it. But for $120 or so I can spend it on an SX and see for myself.

Even if I do decide to keep it I can have (at worst) an ok backup bass until I get that Warwick Thumb I plan on having in a couple of years!

20. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I have a Fender MIM P and a SX Jazz, but I like the P neck more so my Fender neck is on my Jazz, along with a Gotoh 201 Bridge (awesome). Planning on swapping the pups for some Fralins or Poors (if I can find them). However, over all, great bass for the money!