SX vs Pup Replacement

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nowhereian, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Hey everybody, I'm looking for a new backup bass, preferrably a P-J, for versatility. I've got a Squier P-J as a backup currently, and even though they don't seem to be very liked around here, I love the neck. The problem is the electronics. They're really lacking. I put new pots, jack, and wire in the sound indeed improved, but not by much. So, I thought about replacing the pups, probably with some Duncans or I'd really like to try some Delanos (with the huge poles). But then I was thinking that for the cost of new pups alone, I could get a brand new SX. I have no experience with SX's whatsoever and there's definitely nowhere around here where I can go to try a few out, so I was wondering: what would you do?
  2. dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Well the SX build quality will be similar to your Squier, maybe a little better, maybe a little worse. You also may or may not like the pickups in the SX better than your Squier's and have to replace them anyways. If you were deciding whether to buy one or the other I'd say get the SX for sure, but since you already have the Squier you might just want to upgrade the electronics. You can always re-use them later in something else. Plus the neck on an SX isn't the same profile as your Squier either so you may not like it as much. If you want a cheap alternative you could always try and buy some SX pups off somebody for cheap since I know a lot of people replace them. Myself included, altho I re-used mine in another project for a friend since they do sound better than the pups in most cheap basses.
  3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    If you like the way the squier p-j plays, I would probably just upgrade the electronics. You will probably feel the electronics in the SX lacking also.
  4. RoVaughn

Oct 8, 2005
    SX to Squire is not an upgrade. More of a lateral move because you still will want to upgrade things. Changeingt the pickups will help but it wont give you the sound change your looking for. YOu should get an outboard preamp. I got an Aguilar DB 924. It will make your bass a different bass. you can get ont for about 200$ US.
  5. centralharbor

Nov 21, 2005
    IMO, if you get an SX, you'll probably change the pickups like everyone else, and I think the consensus over here would be SX+P/up change > Squier+P/up change