Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SX vs. SX

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FatherFunk, Sep 25, 2005.

1. FatherFunk

FatherFunk

Sep 25, 2005
    Hey, guys. First time poster.
    I've been wanting to play Bass for a while now, but it took my younger brother learning the Guitar to really get me going. I've read into most everything I could find on these boards, and decided that an SX Bass would be prime for me. I looked at rondomusic.net and found two bass that I like.
    The SX SJB 62 CT
    and the Regular SX SJB-62.

I had two questions though.

1. Are these good Bass for starting out?
    and
    2. Is the CT worth the extra money?

You all seem like a nice bunch, and any answer would be welcome.

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    They're essentially the same bass apart from the trimmings.

Good basses. Definitely a great starter bass that can keep up with the big boys. I love mine.

3. As a SX fanatic, I can honestly say that owning one will make you one happy person. Excellent instruments in every way. So yeah, you can start out on one. Most likely you'll always have one around too, no matter how good your gear stock gets.

As for the difference between the regular and the CT, it's pretty much the same instrument, sans the ashtrays. So a lot of it is cosmetic. I would honestly say try an instrument with those covers on, because it actually benefits how some players play (James Jamerson, Marcus Miller) for other guys like myself, they really interfere with your playing style.

Of course, you could always take the covers off, but that would be too simple now wouldn't it? :D

4. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    Ehh? Would you say that the pickup covers influenced how those guys played? The Hook and Miller's slap style?

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I have the SX SJB-75C, the natural one with the block inlays. I am extremely satisfied with it. I have plans to change the pickups, tuners, and bridge; not because I need to, but just because I happen to already have these parts lying around.

6. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    The basses are all probably the same thing as far as wood, tuners and electronics. Go with whichever one you like the look of best. If the vintage tint neck and chromes is worth 20 bucks for it to you (it would be for me) then get that one. Before you decide, consider this bass. A number of folks here have been very satisified with this one.

http://www.rondomusic.net/sjb62mglpb.html

Same bass again, but blue with matching headstock. Very sharp...

Whatever you decide don't be afraid to buy an SX. The customer service is good and you really can't go wrong with sx basses (I really like mine), especially as a first bass.

7. isn't this like the first sign of the coming apocolypse?

comparing things to themselves? Dogs and cats living together? Mass hysteria?

Oh, cruel fate.

Mon

8. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    For your first bass, I'd make sure you got one WITHOUT the chrome covers, aka ashtrays.

They interfere with some playing styles, and if you're new to bass you don't know if that's going to be you or not. Get a bass without them, and later on you can add them if you decide you want 'em.

9. julo

julo

Jan 18, 2005
    Boulder, CO
    the heads don't look exactly the same (one is more buzzard like, am i wrong)

anyway the CT 3Tsunburst looks good but i would replace the pots covers with fender like one to cut through all this chrome.

maybe removing the pickup covers is a good idea, you more possibility without, but sometimes i like to have it on my MIM jazz, it just looks cool.. :D

go for it, play loud!
    Julo

10. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I'd get the one with the ashtrays on it. Worst case scenario is you take them off once you get it. There was a store here in Chicago that had a bunch of old fenders-some with the ashtrays, and some without. Honestly-for me, i couldn't stand having the ashtrays on despite how much i like how they look.

Cam

11. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Was it Chicago Music Exchange (clark and aldine/school)? I was just curious.

I dig that shop and despite what I have heard from others, they are really nice and even indulge my questions when they know I am only looking. Best vintage bass/guitar selection I have ever seen in my entire life.

12. Spanky2112

Spanky2112

Aug 20, 2003
    Utica, NY
    I have the "regular" SBJ-62 Jazz. Great bass! I bought an Epi T-Bird as an "upgrade" and now it is sitting in the closet.
    Buy it.

13. i'd go for the one with the covers, myself. the bridge cover gets in the way as i like to slap near the bridge sometimes, but the neck pup cover makes a great thumbrest. like bg man said, you can always take them off.

14. quoted from GB with class!!

Best

Films

Ever

15. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I say go with the one with the covers. I'm lookin into getting one myself.

16. You can't go wrong with an SX Jazz. They are very solid. They all have the same parts, so just pick which one you like the best. It will be nice. I wouldn't get the QMD or TM basses though cause the finishes on them look kinda cheesy to me. The others are great though. I have one and gig it weekly with no problems and nothing but compliments.

17. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    the QMD on mine (3TS) looks really nice...

Although on the SX megathread there was someone with a Red one...now THAT was hot...

18. FatherFunk

FatherFunk

Sep 25, 2005
    That's what I was looking for.

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I'm gonna go with the CT.
    Are there are any other sites that sell SX? Or do they sell in stores?

19. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Nope...just Rondo but you cant ask for better service and a staff of great people.

20. Matt H

Matt H

Jul 30, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    ok, "GB" isn't cutting it, but the quotation sound extremely familiar... what movie(s) is(are) that from?