sXe for life?!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Sep 18, 2002.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Uhhh... alright, I've heard all sorts of rules for being straight-edge. What defines this... because I don't drink or smoke, but I also heard this "no sex" thang... but I also heard "crazy random sex" is the rule instead. I'm just curious because all my friends make fun of me because I'm straight-edge... but I have sex... with my girlfriend whom I've been dating for 7 months. What about caffine!!! AHHH I'm confused.
  2. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    how about...

just be yourself, and do what YOU think is right.

categories like this are for wussies.
  3. Straightedge always struck me as a game of one-upmanship.

"Hey, man, I don't drink OR smoke!"
    "Oh yeah? Well, I'm gonna stop having sex with anyone but my girlfriend!"
    "I'll see you that, and I'll stop having sex, period!"
    "Oh yeah? I'll stop eating meat!"
    "You think that's hardcore? I'm gonna go vegan on your ass!"

ad nauseum. (Not our very own Ad, BTW.)

Owing to my religious beliefs, I live a similar lifestyle to many straightedgers, but I sure as hell don't make as big of a deal about it as they do. Like Jason said, sXe seems more about finding a category--a tribe, if you will--than any sort of individual initiative.
  4. a friend of a friend has taken to shooting up through the X tattoo on his arm. :)
  5. I was into that stuff, but me and my friends grew out of it, and now with this college thing, I've swung to the opposite side of the spectrum :)
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I don't really care if I am or not, I just think it's funny. I have a friend who's "Straight-edge" but he has sex with people he doesn't know that well... so I just was curious of the rules. I'm sure there are many things I am that I don't know about, but I don't care. But a commercial around this area made a lot of sense to me, "Drugs and alcohol are both the same, they make soup, outta your brain. I don't wanna be pea soup, I don't wanna be a potato, I don't wanna be chicken soup, I just wanna be me."
  7. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I dont know if there are "rules". I personally dont care. I just know that I dont want to drink, smoke, eat meat, or have sex with anyone untill Im married. If that makes me straight-edge...neat? I dont really care. I had my beliefs long before I knew what a straight-edge was all about. I also didnt just one day say "Hey, Im gunna not do all of theses things because I want to have a certain lable attatched to my personna". I have thought long and hard about who I am and why I am what I am. Iam very open minded and happy with my beliefs. Im not attatched to any characterization. Im just ME. Thats what all of you should be too. YOU.
  8. DrunkenJoker84

May 11, 2001
    who's got two thumbs and is a strong advocate for crazy random sex? this guy. *points to self with both thumbs*
  9. Secksay

Secksay Guest

Sep 6, 2002
    New York, NY
    the rules to straightedge are simple:

no drinking
    no drugs
    no promiscuous sex
  10. See, though, I've often seen "no sex 'til marriage" or "outright celibacy," and "no consumption of meat" or "no consumption of animal products whatsoever."
  11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    But after you get married, it's ok to eat meat? :D
  12. Straight Edge for life was what some of the guys in my graduating class were saying in 8th grade when they were all into the "skater" thing, all praising my brother for being so good or whatever.

And then just one year later they started drinking.
    Another 3 months after that they started smoking.
    Another year passed and they started doing E & raving.
    A few months after that they started smoking up every weekend.

"Straight Edge for life" my little yellow Chinese butt.

Provided, I agree with the whole "Straight Edge" way of life, I just don't run around drawing big fat "X"s on the back of my hands, because I'm open for one or two casual drinks, but nothing that will get me anywhere near drunk.

That's not "Straight Edge" or anything, it's just "me", and I'm damn proud of it.
  13. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    Explain yourself?
  14. Secksay

Secksay Guest

Sep 6, 2002
    New York, NY
    the rules i posted are the rules described by ian mackaye, the man credited with creating straight edge.

but for all of your amusment:

15. as ridiculous as it gets sometimes, i really can't complain about the whole straight edge thing. i mean, in most circles (at my high school at least), if you didn't drink or party or whatever, you were lame. suddenly ian mackaye came along and made it cool to be sober. i think that's pretty awesome, no matter what somebody's interpretation of it is. as long as you're not a psycho who beats up imbibers, good for you.
  16. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i agree with you dhc, it's definitely a good thing to want to keep yourself safe, and it's good that it's finally somethign to look up to. but doing it to have some label or to "be cool" is not cool.

/me checks wallet to see if he has cash for smokes tomorrow.
  17. Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    I'm very proud of my situation:
    it's been quite 7 years since me and my girlfriend stay together.And it's been more than 6 years since we serted having sex.

My point is that when you are in SERIOUSLY IN LOVE with a person,having sex with her(him)is the most natural,beautifull thing you can do.

And so,I can consider my self straight.I tend to avoid both the extreme sides:no sex untill marrying is absourd and dangerous;random sex,is funny for the first times,but after a while it becomes sad,very sad.
    One more consideration:from my experience,I think that there are 2 categories of men:the ones who easily grab a girl,and have sex after few hours,or even minutes,they have met;and the ones who can't even start a story if they don't start to know better that girl,or feeling something for her.It's a natural attitude in both cases.I feel to be in the second category.
    Anyway:these are my 2 cents!!!!!!I respect everyone's position;sex is one of the most inner and personal things.
  18. Judging by the rest of your post, I'm going to go ahead and assume that you're not a native English speaker.

That said, I hope this isn't what you really meant, because then you'd be calling myself and a lot of other people here "absurd" and "dangerous" because we're choosing to save ourselves for our wife/husband.

But, like you said, everyone has an opinion, and this is yours. I'm going to respect it, and also respectfully give my opinion that this is not so. It just happens to be one of my personal morals/values, and it also helps that it's a religious one, too.

19. having been to both ends of the spectrum, I have to say that sex with someone you care about is orders of magnitude better than one-night stands.

Sure, both have the same physical result, but the emotional high from being with someone you love is better than any physical orgasm.