1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

syb-5 and other synth... recomendations?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ludwig109, Oct 4, 2009.

1. hi, ive found a second hand boss syb-5 on another forum for around 65euro not sure in dollars basicly half the new price anyway.
    i had a chance to try this out recently and found it sounded great but the tracking(?) wasnt amazing but i think it would still be good value..
    what i want to ask is before i buy this is there anything else out there basicly the same but with better tracking and around the same price.
    im not a huge effects person but i love the sound out of a few settings with this and i hope with tweaking i can minimize the random sounds it accidentally does every now and then.

2. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Set your bass to the front pickup, roll the tone all the way off, pick and mute as cleanly as you can.

I haven't used the SYBs but most digital pedals have and will likely always have tracking issues of some sort, it's just a difficult problem to solve. Simplifying your input signal as much as possible helps, after that it's just grin-and-bear-it territory really.

3. yeh i assumed similar. i loved the sound i take it theres not much out there for that price then

4. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    There's nothing at all that will produce clean waveforms like that, no. Your other alternatives would be the Moog FreqBox (doesn't produce "clean" waveforms really anyway) or the Octavius Squeezer (overkill if you only want it for the VCO, and the tracking's not mega either), or weird little boutique boxes like the Robot Factory Pulse Synth.

But with any of those you're getting into completely different pricing territory compared to the Boss, so if you can make that work then stick with it. :)

5. id say ill take the boss so if i can... waiting for contact from the seller

6. At that price the Boss sounds good, you could sell it on if not happy aftwerwards and won't lose money.

I have not tried the Boss, but heard a demo and it wasn't my thing... I have instead a Digitech SynthWah (a bit cheaper than the Boss I think) which I love, and sounds great on guitar too. But the type of sounds are entirely different. If you want to play "electronica" or hip hop, the Boss will be better suited. If you want some funky sounds, I'd go with the Digitech. It has 7 modes, my favourite is the one with the envelope filter plus octaver... Tracking is always imperfect... make sure your tuning is spot-on, use the treble pickup, and be as clean (playing) as possible. watch your muting.

I had the behringer bass synth for a while too. Not my thing, but it did have some interesting sounds. It was trying to be more like the Boss than the Digitech, which is why I sold it. For the price, well worth trying.

I also had an EH Bass MicroSynth. This thing could really do some crazy stuff, including seriously thick distorted sounds (think Muse)... but it was too bulky. If it could store 4-5 presets it'd be great, but it seemed a lot of space for just one sound, so unless you really use that one sound a lot... it seems excessive to me.

7. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    For that price point, you won't beat the sound of the Boss. I've tried most of the synth pedals on the market, digital and analog, and the SYB-3 (i haven't tried the 5) was the best sounding of the digital pedals- far better than the G5.

If you've only had a chance to try it shortly and didn't find the tracking horrible, then I think there is hope and potentially much room for tracking improvement. Some of the technique and settings changes noted already in this thread, as well as some good time spent getting comfortable with the tracking quirks can aid significantly in tracking; if you have a compressor pedal available, some have good tracking results feeding synth and octave pedals a compressed signal.. The BSW has some good sounds in it, and I would agre with mcnach that it is a little more on the funky side, but the tracking in my experience was pretty good- better than the SYB, but the SYB had some distinct and fat keyboard bass sounds in it and waveforms not found in other synth pedals in that price range.

The Boss synth seems like a good deal based on prices Ive seen recently, so if it were me in your shoes, I'd probably give it a go.

The Freqbox does have an audible distortion on each attack, but when dialed in its very not too bad on its own, and when used with a filter, fuzz and/or modulation after (how should be imo) it is inaudible and the waveforms sound fat and clean.

8. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I have this pedal. It does have tracking issues. I've found that it works best when you've always got a clean blend in the mix, either with a DI or a dual channel preamp that allows you to run it through one of the channel's fx loops.

9. peavey09

peavey09

Oct 1, 2009
    London UK
    I have the syb-5 and all i can say is...it could of been better i paid £119 for mine some time ago and only used it twice

10. with an expression pedal, it can do a lot for the money

11. BigDim

BigDim

Sep 28, 2009
    Wolverhampton
    I use an expression pedal with my SYB-5 - great sounds... but I'm beginning to think that the only way I can get the sounds that I want from the Boss pedal is to get the Roland FV-5 expression pedal.

I bet the Boss at Boss is rubbing his hands with glee as he counts all of my cash.

I chose to go for a cheaper Exp. pedal, the Zoom Fp-20, it does the job but has a lot of 'dead-play'.

Trying to find a way of explaining what I mean by 'dead-play'... Starting with the Exp. pedal in the 'Up' or 'Off' position and the Rate/Delay knob at 12 o'clock on the SYB-5:

I only tap the Exp. pedal forwards a tiny degree towards the 'Down' or 'On' position, it alters the Rate/Delay a very small amount but then there's plenty of remaining sweep in the Exp. pedal that has no effect upon sound of the SYB-5.

Is this something to do with the potentiometer in the Exp. pedal?

Boss suggest you use the Roland FV-5 expression pedal but I'm beggered if I'm gonna spend £100+ on top of my initial £100+ for the SYB-5 in the first place!!

Anyone know what potentiometer is in the Zoom Fp-20 expression pedal?

I'm pretty sure that there's a 10k potentiometer in the FV-5 - would replacing the potentiometer in the Zoom pedal with that of the FV-5 solve the problem or is it something to do with the sweep of the Zoom pedal itself?

Really pleased with the SYB-5, it holds great potential with me and my playing, would love to get hold of the EHX envelope filters and compare the sounds though.

12. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    Its not really a synth pedal, and doesnt have half as many modes but the Boss Dynamic Wah is a cool synth type pedal. It is an envelope filter really, but you can get some synth type noises out of it, it depends on what you were looking for of course. But the tracking is excellent, you may be able to get it cheaper than the SYB5 also.

I have the SYB5 also and find the modes just too hilarious to actually use (plop plop squelch, and a cat purring) and the tracking is quite bad.

13. Meehaw

Meehaw

Jun 11, 2003
    Gdynia, Poland
    Is there an effect that will have the speed of the pulse or wobble controlled by tap tempo? I've been looking for some time and nope, can't find it.

14. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    There are tap-tempo tremolos around, but are you talking about controlling an LFO governing a filter?

The Line 6 FM4 will do it I think. Can't think of any others off the top of my head.

15. The SYB5 has an LFO controlling a filter, but no tap tempo. Check out the 'Dubstep Wobbbbbbble' thread for in in depth discussion on this.