1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Symmetry, MXR Bass Comp or SpectraComp?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by phatbass30, Mar 1, 2016.

1. phatbass30

phatbass30

Dec 24, 2006
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Groove is in the heart!!!
    i'm looking at these 3 right now and i need your professional advice my friends. i need a transparent compressor to even out and control the pikes when i play with fuzz and od, and something to smoothen out my main tone. my max budget can go up to Symmetry only that's why i didn't include the higher priced compressor. any inputs or infos or comparison would be much appreciated.

thank you!

2. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    I want to see the answer too, big Darkglass fan, but I have an MXR and think it may do the job nicely and I can save money for the MT700 coming out

phatbass30 likes this.
  3. phatbass30

phatbass30

Dec 24, 2006
    Bangkok, Thailand
    can you pls tell me your experience with the MXR? thanks

4. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator

May 9, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    The MXR is clinical. It imparts no coloration on your tone and handles the role of either compressor or limiter very well. It's modeled with an 1176 compressor's methodology in mind. One of the few reasons I "upgraded" from the M87 was because I wanted a more characterized compressor (went with a Cali76 CB) that took more of the feel and tone of an 1176, versus straight up dynamic control.

The Super Symmetry is more like a tube compressor, adds a lot of warm, fat goodness. It's not really transparent but is still an awesome compressor, just possibly not what you're looking for if you dont want any new colors or tones added in your chain

phatbass30 likes this.
  5. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Yeah no worries.

It does what it says on the tin.
    MXR is a solid build from a solid company, nicely flattens out your spikes, but does allow some expression without really colouring the tone.
    It is easily adjustable to suit your needs.

I do have it as a little boost as I run a starcaster, and a Cabronita Pbass and I wanted to give a little oomph, but recently I have got a G&L ASAT and with the hotter picks I have noticed a little hiss, not sure whether it's guitar, or I am running it a too boosted. Anyway I have turned the output down a little and have now got a decimator which I will put on so it should be fine.

I run OD, distortion and fuzz with the following.
    Source audio multi wave and Manta bass (hot hand also)
    Big bass muff
    Darkglass b7k

As well as an envelope and octavers

Works fine with all, does not colour the tone and I think is pretty transparent about how your bass sounds.

Only think I can say about SS is how people report a slightly warmer sound and I have listened to sound bites with headphones on the internet comparing MXR and SS, I think it is subtle at best, and as I may get a MT700 when it's out I will probably achieve a similar sound with the built in B3k and VMT.

I run the MXR compressor right at the end of my chain so it allows all my effects to just be themselves.

Hope this helps

phatbass30 likes this.
  6. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    @NoxNoctus thats about right, you type quicker than me!

phatbass30 and NoxNoctus like this.
  7. phatbass30

phatbass30

Dec 24, 2006
    Bangkok, Thailand
    thanks for this. :)

8. phatbass30

phatbass30

Dec 24, 2006
    Bangkok, Thailand
    i'm thinking of putting the MXR before the B7K Ultra that's why i'm a bit skeptic that it would match. but since you said that you been using this with the B7k, this made me think again. thanks for the infos!

9. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Put the compressor right at the end

Let the B7K beast breathe!

I also have a creation audio mk4.33 at the start before b7k for clean boost, the B7K really likes it!

Other pedals don't, for example envelope filter, hence compressor on boost at the end of chain for oomph.
    If you use an envelope a bit of distortion before it can give t some bite

phatbass30 likes this.
  10. phatbass30

phatbass30

Dec 24, 2006
    Bangkok, Thailand
    i'll try this once i get the compressor. which is as of now i'm not decided yet. lol

11. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Good man

It allows you to accentuate with pick or fingers on the distortion and then even the signal a little.
    B7K is amazing how it behaves with fingers vs pick, v versatile pedal

phatbass30 likes this.
  12. phatbass30

phatbass30

Dec 24, 2006
    Bangkok, Thailand
    I've tried the Symmetry and Aguilar TLC today side by side. IMHO, I prefer the subtle, transparent tone I get from the Symmetry. Like most of you here, I did notice the slight brightness lost from the symmetry, but it's cool for me because all my basses are very bright. The enhancement is really subtle. So my questions are, how does it sound on a live situation? And for this subtle enhancement, is it really worth the price you pay?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016