1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Symphonic power metal - damn dude!!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by jhan, Apr 13, 2009.

1. jhan

jhan Guest

Lately I've been playing a lot of symphonic power metal, along the vein of Amberian Dawn, Epica, Nightwish, etc. I consider myself a fairly fast player, and can keep up with the best of them endurance and technique-wise, but damn . . . those extended 16th note runs locked in with lightning double bass drums for like 6 to 8 measures . . . I thought my fingering hand was in shape!! Pssshh - boy do I have some calesthenics to do.

Honestly, first time I've thought of playing with a pick in a long time. You listen to some of these songs and think - gee that's only a five note run, that's easy . . . yeah, right.

Just thought I'd voice that. Nothing much I can do besides get out the old metronome again, eh?

2. MistaMarko

MistaMarko

Feb 3, 2006
    USA
    ya

3. KwinS

KwinS Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    Ah! My current favorite genre! I figure if the person that played the piece originally used a pick, I can, too...

I'm usually a fingers-only player, but I make exceptions when the music moves me that way.

Marco is awesome.

4. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    aha! another bassist in need of my 16th note technique!

Start by getting comfortable using 3-finger gallops (if you aren't already) up and down the neck.

now, starting SLOWLY

1 start on the G-string, on the 10th fret. play the notes on frets 10-8-6 while plucking with your ring, middle, and index fingers in succession [so it should basically be a tripplet].

2 using your middle finger of your fretting hand, hit the 8th fret of the D string, and pluck that note with the index finger of your plucking hand.

3 repeat process staring on the 10th fret of the D string. Continue down to the E string. You should probably start with quarter notes at around 120 BPM.

Do the same thing ascending back up to the G string (reverse order) and eventually you'll get really fast at it.

Vary these patterns up and down the neck and you'll eventually be able to play every kind of run imaginable. Be patient though, it takes quite some time to get good at it.

5. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    I don't like Rhapsody anymore, but there are some awesome bass lines x), also in Angra

I used to play that kinds of stuff... it's ... fun xD

6. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    I always think of Rhapsody as Lord of the Rings metal. The lyrics are absolutely appalling.

Angra = Win though. Didja hear, they got back together finally!!!

7. Andruno

Andruno

Feb 19, 2008
    Montevideo
    Yes, but they fired their drummer (Priester), and got back the original (Confessori).

On the other hand, Marko Hietala uses a pick always, as the bassist of Epica. Angra┬┤s Felipe Andreoli, uses the 3 finger technique.

8. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    6-8 is nothing. I have to do 80 measures in one song.

I've tried fingers, but they always get tired.

9. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    Well, universal rule here, use what you're more comfy with. Personally, I'd prefer playing this music with a pick instead of fingers, the attack, the more metallic sound and the grit you get with a pick sounds better to me. You can do it fingerstyle as well, but I don't find any real reason to torture my fingers doing 16ths for 5 minutes or so. But that's just me.

As for Angra, despite the fact that they do indeed fall under the power metal category, I'd say they're not the perfect fingerstyle example. They're all amazing players, each in his own instrument, and Felipe is a jaw-dropping bassist, both in terms of speed, accuracy, technique, etc. and thus they're a lot more technical than the rest of the bands mentioned here. Still, if I could play THAT good, I'd still go with a pick.