Symptoms of Dying Metal Strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Pete G, Feb 10, 2002.

1. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    Embarassing, but I don't really know how to tell if the strings I have are going bad. I have a set of Helicore Orchestra mediums that have been on for slightly over a year, played about four-five hours a week on average (all arco).

The strings don't really seem much different than when first played in -- no visible signs of wear. However, the A seems to wobble on its pitch a bit, which I don't remember it doing before (and that could be my finicky electronic pitch sensor rather than the string). Also, the G sounds a bit tinnier to me than it used to, but again, that could be 'cause the bridge was bumped...

What are the symptoms I should expect that would tell me it's time to buy a new set, or is it a "You'll know it when you hear it" deal?
  2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Pitch, weird overtones, and otherwise uneven tonality across strings are a dead giveaway (pun intended). Their liveliness gradually starts to wane, too, but usually in degrees where it isn't as noticeable.

Toleration for this behavior usually is in direct proportion to your string budget.
  3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Also, if you seem to have more and more trouble playing in tune, old strings are a likley culprit. This seems to be more noticable pizz, but when my Spiros go, I can't play in tune to save my life.

4. So THAT'S my problem. I thought I just had lousy ears and technique! :D
  5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Naw -- if you had lousy ears then you wouldn't have any problem playing in tune... :)