1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Symptons of a Dying Battery???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Apr 16, 2006.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    ...in the onboard preamp of my MTD that is. just curious...

2. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    I've noticed, in my bass, it's a kinda farty zing that accompanies a pronounced volume drop and buzziness.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yeah, increased distortion is a big one

4. My bass gets muddy as hell.

5. ..Oh, I thought this was a thread about some new band for the under-20 set. Sounds like the sort of name they like.

6. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Did you ever get any info on this? I have yet to change the battery in my MTD 635, and was wondering if it could use a change.

7. funkometer

funkometer Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Birmingham AL
    I dont know much about MTD's, but on my Smith I can always tell with my active passive switch. If my passive volume is any way greater then the active, I know my batterys goin.

8. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    I've seen the following behaviors, depending upon the type of preamp you have:

1. Unpleasant clipping/distortion of the signal (My old Ibanez Active)
    2. Total loss in bottom end - gradually very tinny and thin sound (Sadowsky preamp, Stingrays)
    3. A loud unpleasant 'snap' followed by one or two seconds of silence - sound comes back, same thing happens a few seconds after, with the frequency increasing until nothing remains (Anything making use of a digital processor that goes into a 'reboot' cycle)

9. 2-weeks ago inbetween services, I picked up the Fender Lyte to noodle a bit... The 15" Carvin sounded like it was blown! :eek: We are talking about a brand-new cabinet with a molded horn. I immediately unplugged the Peavey and patched into a wedge that was available. Had to test which had gone bad, the Peavey or the Carvin. Got the same crappy distorted 'buzz'.. Our sound engineer looking on just laughed and said: "change out the battery dude!" Hehehe! thats all it was too. :D