1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Synth bass... for real?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kas_lar, Apr 19, 2006.

1. kas_lar

kas_lar

Jan 12, 2005
    Denmark
    Hey Guys and gals.
    Kindda off tropic but here it goes!

I'm well aware of all the different synth bass pedal (got the Akai Deep Impact myself), but I'm thinking of getting a real micro synth on a keyboard stand on stage.
    But which micro synth? It's mainly used for fat warm sounding bass lines. And of cause there's gotta be a bender ;)
    I don't like a hole lot of buttons some a synth with a recall/preset function will be prefered, as will the synths which are very compact and portable ( yeah, like I've got a lot of gigs)

Appreciate Your comments.. and links...

2. on thing that i kinda like (althought it's risky i guess) is to get a cheap oxygen8 keyboard, and then get a copy of Reason and then put it on a laptop on stage...

in the end this is pretty expensive, but it is also very clean on stage :)

3. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Another vote for the Korg. I like Korg's bass sounds plenty and I used to own an older MS2000, which was great and not too expensive.

Other options:

http://www.zzounds.com/cat--Compact-Synthesizers--2708

And these:

http://www.novationmusic.com/product.asp?id=1&Type=1&bArchive=False

They also used to make the Novation Bass Station, which was a specialized compact keyboard for bass, but it is discontinued.

Like this one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NOVATION-BASS-STATION-ANALOGUE-BASS-SYNTH-BassStation_W0QQitemZ7407630363QQcategoryZ38071QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

4. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    I use an Alesis Micron. I trigger it from a set of Roland PK-5A pedals. I quit using my Moog Taurus pedals. They're too hard to keep working. The Alesis has a Great Taurus patch.

Cheers,
    Jim

5. I definatly prefer the Alesis Micron to the MicroKorg. I used to have the MicroKorg and found the smaller keys much harder to play. You can get some good sounds from the Korg if you know what you're doing with it, although it is difficult to navigate their interface and find the parameters you're looking for. If your looking to do lots of gigging and are looking for something you'll use for a long time without feeling the need to upgrade, I would check out the new Moog "Little Phatty" analog synth which comes out this summer. Nice and compact with everything you would need to make loads of great synth bass sounds. And you can easily save and recall your patches. I think it's going to be selling for around $1500. I don't know what your budget would be but the Phatty would be a sound investment and a great value for the quality of sounds you get and can make.

6. If the money isn't a big issue buy a Viris, IMHO best synth out there - kills nord.

7. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I'd go for a Micron. I own an Alesis Ion, which is the Micron's bigger brother. They use the same synth engine. Alesis did a nice job programming the filters in it. It does some great Moog-like bass. I can get it to sound almost as fat as my Moog Taurus pedals, and that's some praise indeed.

It also does a good job with classic Jupiter and 303 synth bass tones.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My vote says either the Novation Bass Station or the Roland SH-101.

Nobody, IMO, makes a good modern bass synth.

9. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    The Emperor of the Bottom End (as P.G. calls him - Tony Levin, you know) uses a Clavia Nord Lead 2 on stage for bass synth sounds. It sounds very good - but it is a bit big.
    On the 2003 Growing Up DVD he has a little (two octave?) MIDI keyboard on a little stand, which probably controls the Nord Lead.

I haven't tried one ever, but I imagine the Novation Bass Station will suit your needs.

10. My vote goes with the MicroKorg too.

I've tinkered around with one on a few occasions and it has a huge amount of sounds, some good some not. And it's really small.
    If I ever learn how to play keyboards decently and have coupla hundred £'s to drop on something, I'd buy a MicroKorg.

11. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    If you really want a large bass sound you could try one of these:
    DSCF0082.
    This is a modern unit i've purchased over the last two years.

Cheers,
    Jim

12. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Oh man, I would love to have a modular synth. Sadly, my only personal experience with one was back in 1989; one of my college professors had a Roland System 100m in our synth/recording lab.

13. Nobody makes a good modern bass synth? :rolleyes: There's plenty of good modern stuff that kills the Bass Station and the SH-101. Of the synths I have the Novation Bass Station is the least suited for Bass duties. The only reason I have held on to mine is that I can use it as a MIDI to control voltage converter. If you want the best I would recomend checking out Studio Electronics' SE-1X. That thing will eat the Bass Station and the Roland for breakfast. And there's always the Moog Voyager if you have the cash. Not to mention any of the digital synths like the Nord or the Virus.

14. kas_lar

kas_lar

Jan 12, 2005
    Denmark
    Hi everybody, and thanks a lot for the recommendations... I've now got a lot of gear buying n' trying to do.
    I'll guess I'll with the MicroKorg since one of my butties got one...
    See ya

15. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
  16. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    if you've got something like a cheap casio keyboard with MIDI you can use that as a controller. i myself have a casio WK1300 with all the keys I'll ever need and I think it has touch sensitivity and pitch bend as well. unfortunately it's in pennsylvania. my friend has a mac G4 laptop with Reason. I really want to get something like an old Prophet VS or Oberheim Xpander... blah blah blah

Anyway, you're gonna get the best results with a MIDI keyboard controller and real synthesizer with lots of knobs on it.