1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Synth bass keyboard

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Anglerfish, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Anglerfish

Anglerfish

Dec 1, 2015
    Moscow
    I think I caught a GAS for some synth bass keyboard. Have anybody here used it? Anolog or digital. Expensive or cheap. Bigger or smaller. What is your experience?

Moog analog bass synths sound sweet but cost just too much for me. Probably gonna get something less pricey.

2. nbsipics

nbsipics Used to be a Dead Guy Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Lookup a newer or used Novation Bass Station. You might like that, and certainly more-affordable than the Moogs.
    ( which are worth the price if you can afford them ). Different filters/sounds though.

superdick2112 and Anglerfish like this.
  3. Anglerfish

Anglerfish

Dec 1, 2015
    Moscow
    Bass Station 2 is one of options that I'm considering. Examples that I heard sound nice to me.
    Some people told me it tends to get lost in the mix though.

4. johnxrobertson

johnxrobertson

Aug 14, 2011
    Scotland
    +1 on the Novation but also consider the Arturia Minibrute and Microbrute.

knumbskull likes this.
  5. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    I had an Arturia Microbrute - Good sounding, but no presets and I can't get used to the miniature keys.
    I had a Dave Smith Mopho too - I regret selling it, but i want to keep my keyboard rig minimal. If I wanted to start playing Bass keys again, that would be my choice.

6. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I love the Mopho. I use the desktop with a midi controller. That way I can scale up or down the keyboard as needed. But it's another thing to carry, and more cables to hook up. If that matters, get the keyboard version of it. Same synth engine, but with a built in keyboard, and more knobs to control parameters. Either one connects to your computer to download patches. Many people have soundbanks for free/cheap.

7. superdick2112

superdick2112 Registered Rickenbacker Enthusiast Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    All of the above are good choices, and I'd also recommend the Behringer Model D.
    99% of the Minimoog tone at a fraction of the cost.
    Check out this comparison video - the sound comparisons begin around the 14:30 mark.
    The Novation is one of my favorites because it is affordable, self-contained, sounds great & has the ability to store presets.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017