Synth Bass Live

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by alexmoore10, Jul 22, 2021.

1. alexmoore10

alexmoore10

Apr 3, 2007
    London
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown Engineering Amplifiers, Elites Strings and Cosmic Ears IEMs
    Hey all!

Hope I am posting this in the right place.

I am planning on using the M-Audio Oxygen 25, Mainstage and NI Monark as a synth bass live.

Now my question is what should each of the 8 knobs control on a live synth bass?

I may want to change the sound on the fly so any suggestions are good!

Thanks in advance.

2. I dont know exactly how much flexibility you have with the specific software, but for what it is worth, my default knob mappings on my Ableton setup which evolved over a lot of time
    are
    Filter frequency
    Attack time or some other envelope function
    Osc (may be type, may bepulse width, may be extra octave up, etc)
    Modulation
    Glitch
    Drive
    Delay
    Reverb

i have 8 sliders under those that also do related or secondary function. Eg under filter frequency is depth, time under delay and reverb, speed under modulation.

but even with those 8 I think you can see how you can have wildly different sounds easily.

alexmoore10 likes this.
  3. alexmoore10

alexmoore10

Apr 3, 2007
    London
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown Engineering Amplifiers, Elites Strings and Cosmic Ears IEMs
    This is the layout for Monark

So what are you thinking?

Attached Files:

4. Hummergeist

Hummergeist Commercial User

Jul 21, 2020
    London
    Ableton Live tutorials and product reviews for Computer Music magazine.
    It's all personal but I'd try range and waveform for each oscillator and the last two would be filter cutoff and res. That is assuming you're running this synth in standalone mode - no other DAW or fx involved.

alexmoore10 likes this.
  5. alexmoore10

alexmoore10

Apr 3, 2007
    London
    Stand-alone it is! Thx

Hummergeist likes this.
  6. Hummergeist

Hummergeist Commercial User

Jul 21, 2020
    London
    Ableton Live tutorials and product reviews for Computer Music magazine.
    Okay I see...but maybe there are some other fx that come free with the software, that'll run inside Kontakt? But anyway, having any kind of knob control will be fun :)

7. alexmoore10

alexmoore10

Apr 3, 2007
    London
    Definitely fun! Sure i’m gonna experiment. Just wondered if anyone had any preferences or had a similar setup.
    I will be using mainstage with it but mostly to change the sound quickly to the next song/patch/preset.

Hummergeist likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 5, 2021