1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Synth basses: any of you have one? Play it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pablo Fanque, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Pablo Fanque

Pablo Fanque

Apr 1, 2009
    Well, are you willing to admit you have one and like it?

2. What do you mean by synth bass? Many of us have *synth* pedals, & a few dabble in keys. I don't know of a synth that's made specifically for bass parts, though.

3. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Maybe he's talking about a bass guitar with built-in pitch-to-MIDI converters, like the Steve Chick fret-sensing basses...aka, Peavey DataBass, Peavey MIDIbass, the Wal and Yamaha equivalents, etc? Or perhaps the Roland GR-33B? Hell, I wish I had any one of those babies!

4. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    I have an old Yamaha DX21 synth for working on my synth bass lines. It's good to be versatile these days.

5. Classical_Thump

Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    I've got a Roland synth pickup which I installed on my Carvin 4 string. Honestly, I don't use it very often, but I think that's because I have been running it through a V-Bass setup, which, IMO, does not have very good patches. Hopefully I can eventually upgrade to a Roland pedal which has instrument modeling.

6. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    My Line 6 Variax bass has a couple of pretty spectacular synth models. They track well, have many variables to adjust, and sound funky man.

7. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I have a Midibase. It's pretty neat, but I'm afraid to take it out of the house and have something terrible happen to it, so all I can do is come up with neat ideas I can never duplicate with the band.

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I played a Moog Rogue in the Eighties. It could sound a little thin live but I liked it.:)

9. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    This cute little Asian girl does a nice job on the bass pedals.

10. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    I'd be very curious what a "Japan's Got Talent" would be like.

11. i have a couple of synth basses...

novation bass station, yamaha CS01, Korg mini 700, roland SH1000,2000, yamaha SY1... and many more