1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Synth Effect ID

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jerry J, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    This a link to a Gap Band video for the song "Burn Rubber".
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLScDJ7EUfE

I'm pretty sure that the keys are matching the bass on this. But if you listen to the song you can hear the bass gliss into notes and the effect stays with that same effect.

It sounds to me like a fuzz plus an octaver.

2. 18eranaRic

18eranaRic Banned

Mar 7, 2009
    Malibu, USA
    couldn't tell, it was all red bra to me.

3. it's a synthesizer. there might be a 4-stringer doubling the line but it's inaudible if so

here's an anecdote about that song (it is much funnier if you know who Blowfly is): about 15 years ago i found myself at the practice space/studio/hangout of a notorious LA punk-funk-ska band (hint: the bass player uses Warwicks) and Blowfly called and they put him on speakerphone and he was like "fellas i'ma come over and record a song with y'all, a version of 'burn rubber' by the gap band with my own lyrics and i'm gonna call it... 'burn rubber'"

4. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Truth dat bro!:bag:

5. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    RC, that is a funny story. I did have to google Blowfly.:cool:

So I guess now I can just be happy with almost close. As much as I tried with the OC-2B + B*assmaster I just couldn't get close at all. The closest I've come is with the G5.

I was in a used music pawn shop the other day and they had just taken in a Micro-Korg synth keyboard and I was able to crazy close with that. But I am a bass player...not a key player.

6. the gliss part is the hardest thing to get on 4-string.

The G5 is really underrated and I am SURE it comes as close to that sound as any pedal you are likely to find.

7. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    The G5 is really good for '80s noises. I think the G5 into a chorus would work well for that. I don't have my G5 or a chorus any more though so I can't try it out.

8. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Well I have the recording so I got all motivated to see how close I could come. I will try and get a recording of the outcome. Needles to say I was very pleased. I also tried it on the Gap Band song "Early In The Morning" and it worked out great too.

There are about 5-6 disco/funk songs that I'm trying to nail and the G5 seems to be up to the task. Dazz Band "Let it Whip" and "Swoop", the Bar Kay song "Hit and Run", and the Gap Band songs "Humpin'", "Party Train", "Burn Rubber" and "Early in the Morning".

And Kevtop I will try it out with a chorus.

9. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Yeah for that sort of early-'80s disco/funk stuff the G5 gets closer than anything else, IMHO.

10. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Cool! Have you ever noticed that the case looks like it is covered in gold lame? If you are too young to remember that period women wore gold lame pant that looked like they were painted on. Very nice!

I'm just so grateful that you didn't say that the Deep Impact would do all that stuff and better.:eek:

11. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    In all honesty I've never had a Deep Impact. :ninja:

But I do think if you're into that particular time in music, the G5 was designed with that in mind I think.