Synth: Future Impact vs Source Audio C4?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bruno40gr, Jul 7, 2019.

1. bruno40gr

bruno40gr Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    Been using the Future Impact for some years, comes with 99 presents and it can do a lot specially if you understand how to navigate through the Sound Editor, but the learning curve is steep.
    How does the C4 stack against it? For what I've read it can do filters, synth, octaves up and down, distorsions and phasers. Can it potentially replace a Future Impact?

2. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    Only a few dozen beta C4s are out in the wild, the pedal has not been officially released yet. I do think a few TBers might have both, but in that case you need to be targeting just a few specific people for this question.

Randy Ward likes this.
  3. Yeah, I would wait for the official C4 release to start comparing. They’re just now building the preset library.

4. The C4 is not intended to replace anything but to be a new tool for creators to use for making sounds. Because it is created with both bassist and guitarists in mind there is a broader range. There may be some overlap certainly but some sounds may be better or easier on the FI than on C4 and visa versa.

I am more interested in the C4 because it was a new approach in many ways, very powerful, small, very versatile user friendly interface and affordable.

LSMFT6 and JimboP like this.
  5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I'd be holding on to my FI in anticipation of the new software that's pending any time now rather than looking for others. ;)

Also, they look like different beasts. If I were going to use a synth during the set for a handful of sounds, having presets is way easier than having to dial in a tone with 4 knobs and a switch for each sound.

cosmicevan likes this.
  6. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    The C4 will do presets with the SA Hub. I'm not a big fan of the Hub, but that's worth pointing out.

Driven Crane likes this.
  7. Cunkybunkfarts

Cunkybunkfarts

Jan 29, 2019
    You don't actually need the Hub to do presets on the C4 though. You can program up to 128 presets into the pedal on its own and access them via midi. From what I've been reading, there will be a WYSIWYG mode where the knobs can be used, and a mode where the knobs are inactive and the sounds come 100% from your presets.

I was lusting after the FI for a while but with the C4 coming out soon, I will be getting that. The pedal with the Tech 21 Midi Mouse will still cost less than the FI, it will have a smaller footprint, deep modular synth style editing, the ability to publish and download other users' presets, connectivity with the other SA One series pedals, badass sounding synth tones that are very comparable to the FI (plus ones that the FI does not have, like the sequencer, intelligent pitch shifting and straight envelopes without using the oscillators)... it's really looking like a no brainer to me.

Clark Dark and LSMFT6 like this.
  8. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    Well the point was that presets are possible, you don't have to move the knobs for different sounds. I'm not sure the MIDI over USB has been finalized yet, and you would still need some sort of device that does that if you were going to use it instead of the Hub.

9. Cunkybunkfarts

Cunkybunkfarts

Jan 29, 2019
    I actually asked specifically about using the Tech 21 Midi Mouse over at TGP (the SA guys are so great about responding to questions) and they confirmed that would work. Basically any midi switch will cycle through your presets, so it does seem finalized. The pedal is going to be released in less than a week (July 16th) so most of this stuff is set in stone now. From what I've seen they are still just tinkering a bit with the software. Saving "scenes" with other SA pedals to the hub isn't supported yet, but apparently it will be soon enough.

HelpImaRock likes this.
  10. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    I've following all the TGP stuff too. The MIDI Mouse doesn't do USB, if that's what you were asking and they said yes then I'm assuming they misunderstood the question. There's literally no way to go from a MIDI Mouse to a One Series pedal without a Hub or some other device.

As for what is set in stone, I'm not sure I would agree with that either. Very recently Roger has been talking about switching up options for how presets work. In the past they've made major updates after pedals are released.

HelpImaRock likes this.
  11. Cunkybunkfarts

Cunkybunkfarts

Jan 29, 2019
    Oh, interesting. I had thought there was a midi port directly on the pedal. For some reason I thought I saw that you didn't need the hub to be able to access all the presets. I thought the hub was just for being able to save scenes using multiple SA pedals. That would be kind of a bummer if you need it.

12. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I’m confused. If you want to do Synthy with your Bass, you should have both.

13. Cunkybunkfarts

Cunkybunkfarts

Jan 29, 2019
    In a perfect world I would have all the synth pedals ;)

AlvarHanso, kkenda11 and jbybj like this.
  14. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    There is a MIDI port on the SA pedals but not the MIDI Mouse. The MIDI Mouse sends PC signals which is not how the C4 will do presets anyway, it uses CC messages. A MIDI Mouse can be used to control a Hub using 5-pin MIDI, but as you note the Hub is not yet prepared to include the C4 in scenes.

As for USB control of the C4 directly, I think there was a suggestion that it would be accomplished through one of the Disaster Area devices or something similar.

15. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove If it feels heavy, it's heavy. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    Wondering if you can answer this, as I'm planning on snagging a C4 when they come out next week...

I'll preface by saying I'm very new to MIDI. Just picked up a DMC-3XL (Gen 3) to control my Strymon Volante and am starting to load presets. The DMC has a USB port that I could theoretically connect directly to the C4. What I'm unsure of is what else I would need to create/save presets that can be navigated with my DMC controller? I've never used MIDI with the SA stuff. Can I create presets in the Neuro app/editor, save them into one of the 128 MIDI preset slots on the C4, and then recall them with the DMC?

@rsmith601 perhaps you could answer this as well?

16. Cunkybunkfarts

Cunkybunkfarts

Jan 29, 2019
    I see. So what MIDI controller would you recommend for cycling through presets on the C4 and leaving the hub out of it?

17. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    As I said before, you'll either need the Hub or you'll need something that does USB. I have a Hub, I don't have experience with the latter. I know this is what Disaster Area (@pharaohamps) specializes in, but I don't know which product of theirs is best suited for SA. Ultimately, you really need both a controller and a converter. So in my case my controller is MIDI Designer on my iPad, which gets sent to a bluetooth device called the Zivix PUC+, then 5-pin MIDI to the Hub. For using the MIDI Mouse, you would go MIDI Mouse via 5-pin MIDI to the Hub. For a USB device, some of them you will use 5-pin MIDI from some device (could still be a Mouse, for example) then USB to the C4. But Disaster Area might have devices that do both control and USB out. Again I'm not sure which device they have that would be best and what the status of programming these things for the C4 is.

18. Going back to the TGP thread, Disaster Area said the Micro or the 3xl would be perfect matches for the C4.

rsmith601 and Grahams Groove like this.
  19. rsmith601

rsmith601

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    President, Source Audio
    We know that many of you want an easy way to navigate the 128 presets in the C4. We have been working with DisasterArea to make sure this happens!!

20. mr2xbass

mr2xbass

Oct 2, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    I hope the fire is getting hotter underneath the FI 3.0 firmware/editor release...

Basehead likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021