Synth Fuzz for Indie Pop

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JN8642, Jul 21, 2018.

1. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    So I've been looking at a lot of different synth style fuzz pedals to try and am pretty stumped as to what would be the best option (I know tastes differ).

The Zvex Mastotron seems like a good affordable option but haven't had a chance to try it in person to be able to tell if it can get synthy enough, didn't sound so in the demos but there's only so much one can tell from a YouTube demo.

Was thinking that the EHX Bass Micro Synth would be an ideal option too with all of it's versatility and square wave to add enough grit to bring it into fuzz territory. Also haven't been able to try one in person.

Malekko Bassmaster, from what I remember from playing one, could get kinda synthy at certain settings.

IE Oxide, yeah I'd scoop that up in a heartbeat if I came across one but don't know if I'd wanna wait the x amount of time until one pops up.

From those options, what would you guys pick (Besides the Oxide)? Always looking to check out more recommendations as well! :)

grillman likes this.
  2. Shoe Pixel is an awesome synth fuzz!

3. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    I have the wooly mammoth clone which is technically very similar to the mastotron that works great for me and is very synthy especially when combined with an octave.

I used to have the bass micro synth. While it is a very versatile pedal, I found it pretty muddy in almost all settings. It is more than a fuzz though thus the name "synth". It does octave up, down, has fuzz, and envelope filter with up and down sweeps.

I liked the malleko and haven't tried the oxide.

Wooly mammoth clone, oc2, and the mxr filter makes much more useful synth sounds compared to the stand-alone ehx synth. And good luck with adjusting the ehx on the fly..

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    Al Krow and grillman like this.
  4. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    Which mammoth clone do you use? Thank you for your response btw, have you tried a BOSS SYB5 (or 3), I've been wondering if that (Or even a Dirty Robot or Bit Commander) would work with a mammoth/mastotron/bassmaster/etc

5. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    I built my own referring to the vero board schemes online and added an input impedance knob so that it can be after other pedals.

I tried the syb5 and its a great pedal but diferent, has it's own sound. Haven't tried it with other dirt pedals though..

It really depends on what kind of synth you have in your mind really.. I like the wooly mammoth and the oc2 because when set right, it is a very thick, gated fuzzy sound that works great for me.

Do you that specific sound in your mind, or are you looking for it? I'd check the online demos and figure out what I like first, and then figure out what pedals to get to get that sound.

craigie likes this.
  6. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    The sound in my mind is similar to the sound in the beginning of this video, after a lot of searching and watching live videos I think it's an actual synth lol, couldn't find anything on the bass player's gear but noticed he also plays synth in the band

bkbirge and jazznrick like this.
  7. You should be able to get that sound with an analog octave pedal and a fuzz

JN8642 likes this.
  8. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    I'll look into that thank you

jazznrick likes this.
  9. St_G

St_G

Jan 22, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    How about the Bit Commander? Two octaves down, one up, tons of square wave goodness*.

*-actually, the wave shape seems to vary by octave, as does the gating, but for simplicity's sake...

10. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Darkglass duality paired with a tc electronics sub n up .

Maybe an envelope filter too?

11. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    Actually trying to sell my Duality currently to fund other fuzz flavors lol. Almost totally forgot about the sub n' up thank you! Much cheaper than a pog haha

Lammchop93 likes this.
  12. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    Bit Commander is on my list :) Gonna head to a store this week that has one to try it out

13. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    My starting point is a ssbs Mini with the bias left of noon, it's a synthy crackle. Then into any number of things, but a new FMeron is proving to be more amazing as I try different settings. An envelope, Superego+ with effects in it's loop (like subn'up, spark drive, eh C9 and new Ocean's !!, there have been others) I'm liking Mini into El Oso fuzz for a wholly mammoth sound, or a MXR bass fuzz Delux and it's a sustaining stoner death scrawl.

14. Lammchop93

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I actually prefer the sub n up over the POG. The smooth bass toneprint is magical.

15. MDH bass

MDH bass

Jul 16, 2018

lil bit micro synthy, lil bit not? not very common; cool if you can find one

16. Lammchop93

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    MDH bass likes this.
  17. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    Boss SY-300 synth pedal packs a lot of features in it.
    might be your thing..

JN8642 and Waltsdog like this.
  18. grillman

grillman

Dec 15, 2014
    I have had difficulties with both the MAstotron and the Wooly Mammoth.
    Sounding excellent at home but drowned in the mix when playing with my bands.

I’ve tried a lot of synth pedals with no luck. At least on their own.

To me nothing beats the combination of Octave > fuzz > envelope filter. It is also very fun to experiment with.
    My usual signal is OC-2 > Superfuzz > Maxon Af-9. Nowadays I also use a dirty robot instead of the Maxon. It adds a great synthy tone and modulation.

19. MDH bass

MDH bass

Jul 16, 2018
    malekko downer could be another shout

20. Waltsdog

Waltsdog

Feb 21, 2009
    Ottawa, ON
    If you want actual synth sounds then just spend the cash and get a Future Impact.

NicJimBass likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021