Synth modules

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Funkateer, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    This is a little off topic for a bass site, but nonetheless, I suspect a number of you work with keyboard guys with midi synth modules. I am currently trying to decide between the e-mu proteus 2000 ($600) and the Roland XV-5050 ($800). The boards are mixed on the proteus, many cite unappealing sounds, but it does have 128 voice polyphony. The roland has a cool USB interface, and sounds people seem to prefer, but only 64 voices. Can you help me decide? I will be using this with Cubase SL and a Layla 24 in my studio.
  2. Ya know, there are a few keyboard types here somewhere that may be able to offer some opinion on the modules.

Hey - while we're on the subject.... do you or anyone happen to know of a keyboard forum similiar to TB? I have some questions meeself that are key-related.

FWIW - I haven't heard the XV or the Proteus, but I'd rather have 64 tasty, usable voices than an infinite number of mediocre ones.
  3. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
  4. Thanx moley!!!!! You da man!!!!!:cool:

BTW - I'll post a couple of questions here, what have I got to lose?

Re: My old Ensoniq ESQ-1

Q: Is it likely that my keyboard has the capability to transpose up/down 1/2 step? Is this a common feature even in old keyboards?

Q: Sometimes the old Ensoniq develops an instability in the tuning. The pitch will start jumping up and down about 10 times per second. It sounds gross when this happens. Is there a "workaround" for problems like this? I tried to contact Ensoniq/Emu and got no response.

BTW - I have the factory manual somewhere...

5. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Wierd! I dunno what to suggest about that one!
  6. devane rocks

devane rocks

Feb 27, 2003
    atlanta ga
    I used the 2000 on my peavy cyber bass and didnt like it much. I go with roland for synth anything much better sound .