Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Synth pedal for "Tom Sawyer" type of tones...?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sgtthump, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Who here has tried alot of the synth pedals for bass? Can any of them do the "Tom Sawyer" analog synth type things? This band I'm sitting in with plays that song and it would be cool to have that sound available. :)

Chris

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Akai Deep Impact can nail it after tweaking one of the presets.

3. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I have an Akai Deep Impact and I'd be curious what paramter you use.

I also have a BOSS ME-50b which gives a close sound. I make three effect changes in this song and the ME-50b's program banks are organized in groups of three. (The "Swoosher" effect, the Geddy Lee Ric bass effect, and the tarus pedal synth effect.)

4. Sergio

Sergio

Apr 7, 2004
    Lafitte, LA
    The DigiTech Bass Synth Wah can get that sound perfectly, I use it all the time for crazy awesome sweeps.

5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    This is a good pedal and it will probably give you what you want for the "Tom Sawyer effect".

As mentioned above, the Deep Impact can also get pretty close to it with enough tweaking. I actually have both of these pedals on my board and I use both quite a bit.

6. My last band played that tune.... I played the keyboard parts on my Yamaha DX7 .... the introductory sweep sound, the stringy sound, the percussive synth sounding solo thing.

Hope you find the sound you are seeking, via instrument or sample. FWIW one can get a DX7 off ebaY for about 250 $$.

7. Thanks guys! The Deep Impact is waaaaaay out of my price range for something I'd consider a "toy." I'd only use it every once in a while for strange effects...

The Digitech Synth Wah Bass thing is in my range, though. I'll check one out! Thanks guys!