Synth pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Thurisarz, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I played a Boss SYB-3 Synthizeser pedal at a local music store today and really liked the Synth effect on bass, but the pedal was not really good IMO i could only play staccato on it, if i played a bit faster it would just get muddy and unclear. And the price was totally not in my pricerange. What synth pedals do we have on the market? I'm not looking for wah-wah-like effects, think old Analogue synths!

Remember, i live in sweden and we do not have the same range of brands here as in for ex. the USA.

Thanks! :bassist:
  2. Hi, yes the SYB-3 is not a great pedal, I have owned one and there isn't really much you can do with it.
    Other options around are the SYB-5, the newer version of the Boss Model, I haven't played it, but it is cheaper and I hope they have fixed the terrible tracking on the SYB-3.
    The best Synth Bass pedal I have played is the Akai Deep Impact, however they are not in production anymore, and I'm not sure if you will be able to get hold of one. If you can, snatch it up, it's great for those analogue synth sounds.

There is also the EHX Bass Synth, but thats pretty expensive but is good and reliable from what I have heard.

These are the pedals I know of, I'm sure their are more.

Good luck
  3. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Banned

Mar 10, 2003
    akai deep impact-decent tracking. good professional sounds$150

boss syb-5 bass synth-i think this one tracks ok.I like it.$175

digitech synth wah-tracks ok, sounds kinda odd $60

ibanez synth pedal-sounds really cheap :( tracks fine $40

korg g5 synth-old,discontinued, but an ebay item. tracks well, sounds great $200

roland v-bass and gk-2b pickup-expensive, sounds like it(great) no tracking problems at all $800

electro-harmonix synth-decent tracking for the most part, sounds basic$150

dod bass30-sounds really cheap, tracks only slow played notes$50

I post songs every day with bass synths in there, anything you want to hear?, I can post a song w/it.
  4. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    PM Sent! :)
  5. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Banned

Mar 10, 2003
    pm replied!

I got some samples up, a vowel-sounding digitech synth wah, and a new mode with the boss syb-5, if you've heard the syb-3, you are already familiar with some of the modes.
  6. TalktoSamson

Dec 7, 2004
    PM Sent...
  7. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Banned

Mar 10, 2003
  8. Peik

Dec 2, 2004
    How about trying some Moog pedals. I know they are a bit expencive, but they sound really cool, and maybe with a good Fuzz pedal on it. There is the ringmodulater, phase, and low frequenzy analyser or something, I know there is four pedals that are all worth trying out, for some spacy sounds. I know Jam in sweden has them in shop. I live in Gothenberg and have seen them there.

9. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    They are VERY Expensive, not budget-friendly....
  10. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    akai deep impact is the bomb
  11. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Banned

Mar 10, 2003
    btw people i am not selling, just listing how much the dude would have to invest in such products

i own a moogerfooger ring modulator, and i only use it on the bass

its only good for wacky soloing, expensive too but i just cant part with it its crazy
  12. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I have the digitech bass synth wah, it is pretty cheap compared to most of the others, especially if you can find one used.

I really like it, it is very versatile. I bought it after reading here on TB how many people like it just for its octave function. It does make a great octave pedal, it has always tracked great for me. Its other modes take some tweaking to find the most usable sounds, but there is a lot I like in this one pedal. I have tried the Akai Deep Impact, I wasn't too impressed and couldn't seem to get a usable sound out of it. The Digitech is a great octave, can be used to get a funky sort of sound, or can make your bass sound like an old analog synth instead of a bass guitar.

I used to have an Akai Unibass, which though not sold as a bass synth I was able to get a pretty convincing synth sound with. It had a unique sound which I still sometimes miss, but I think the digitech tracks better. They are somewhat rare here in the US and can be expensive also.