Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

synth question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dadodetres, May 9, 2005.

1. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    ok, im not asking which is the best cause i know it was discuted trillions of times.....

but im looking for a synth, and cant spend a lot, lets say 100 $.

the ones im lookinf foward are the ibanez SB7and the digitech

here is the question, which ine would be good for real time changing parameters? foir example, i recird a phrase and start messing the effects , i want some psycoidelic or space weird effects....

maybe anyone knows the one of these pedals is NOT GOOD to do this,...... maybe not.....

its also important to see wwhat parameters you can change in each one, in the ibanez i have:freq/resonance - sens - level
    and also 2 switches for different modes.
    and in the digitech: sense - control - range and type

maybe "type" is the same that the SB7 modes (switches) but can you help me out what would range and control be?

thancks!!!

2. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    It's been said often, but just so you know, the Ibanez isn't a true synth, it's a combination of filter and fuzz I believe. The Digitech has both filter and synth modes that you can select, giving you a potentially greater range of sounds. As I recall, you cannot run either of these boxes with expression pedals, and thus, to do real-time parameter changes, you're going to need to kneel down and twiddle the knobs.

3. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    i know, mi idea is to sit down and start playing with the knobs :ninja:

so, it istn a true synth, but if it SOUNDS as a real one, im done.

so, would it sound as a real synth? the clips on the official website are exelent, just what im looking for, but i prefer your opinion to the reviews and description of the people that sell them.....

4. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    just on the subject of expression pedals, the boss syb-5 has an expression jack. but yeah they are still relatively expensive.

I havent used the digitech or ibanez but i think the ibanez is ok. i dont think it will give you anything psychadelic, i believe its a bit more subtle than the digitech. but on the plus side, its cheap.

5. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

:eyebrow:

6. skunkrawk

skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    DC
    i use the digitech in my noise side project all the time, its capable of making some pretty far out noises and i think it can sound pretty synthy. a lot of people on the forums use their digitech as an octaver seeing as it tracks very well. as far as real time control goes, i kneel down in front of my pedals as well and the digitech seems to have to problem at all when i tweak it. i love the sound i get when turning the knob that changes the frequencies of the voice effect. ive never played the ibanez sb7. -dave

7. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

hey thancks, is the digitech a real synth? or the same as the ibanez?

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The digitech is more of a real synth than the ibanez. Since the ibanez isn't doing any tracking, you can do chords on it with no issues.

I never really found any super usable sound on the Ibanez, the Digitech isn't brilliant but it's the best best in the price range you say.

9. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    so what about the extra parameter you can control in the ibanez? maybr thats what im looking for!

what do you control with each knob?

freq -
    resonance -
    sens -
    level -

and with the digitech`s:

sense
    control
    range
    type

as i sayd, im guessig "type" is the wave form the synth is producing, right? so maybe type acts the same as the switch modes in the ibanez (though the ibanez is not "producing" its emulating, right?)

10. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  11. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
  12. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    From the sound samples posted, I much prefer the Digitech!

In live use, though, I'd be worried about how well the Digitech can track notes (only monophonic at that!) since it seems to be a true synth, which requires determining the frequency of each bass-note and generating a synthesizer equivalent - in real-time!

13. I habe the Ibanez I can't get the synth sound I was looking for when I bought it. But it makes a descent auto-wah. I am looking to find a pedal suited for dirty but not distorted hip hop style sounds. as far as the Ibanez goes if you crank all the knob it can get rediculous in the synth mode. But it was said earlier it's not a true synth. any suggestions on the hiphop vibe.

14. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    ahhh i mailed ibanez AND digitech asking them for what the parameters actually do, technically and sound-wise, ans neither respnd me, they told me "sensitivity, resonance, level, etc etc". i CAN read

15. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
  16. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    what its actually cutoff? i know its a kind of filter usea a lot in electronic music, i know how it sounds, but what does technically?

17. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY