Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Synth sound on Radiohead's "Climbing Up the Walls"

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Rodan, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Wasn't sure if I should post this in effects or recordings, but on Radiohead's "Climbing Up the Walls" (9th Song on OK COMPUTER), is the bassline a bass with some sort of synth effect, or is it an actual synth? Anyone know. I love this sound and would like to get me a pedal that could reproduce this kind of sound.

2. murdermilk

murdermilk

Feb 5, 2004
    I popped my OK Computer into my PC and boosted the lows to full and the highs to null.

Something about the attack on the notes and the way the note decays tells me it's an actual bass. Plus, there seems to be only a little synth blended into the bass tone, and you can really only hear it after the bass has stopped and you listen to the decay on the synth, which also points a synth pedal.

But that's just me, and I'm usually wrong.

EDIT: That's a damn good song on the second or third listen. It's hard for me to get into OKC, but when I force myself, it's a fun experience.

3. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    The thing is that I have never seen / heard / read that colin uses any type of synth pedal... He is a really bare bones sort of guy... He uses "the fuzz" which is an unknown fuzz pedal he picked up on tour in the US, you can hear it on National Anthem... And for distortion he uses an old tube guitar head (5 or 8 watts) into a power soak... So I am not sure, the synth in that sond sounds very much like a casio cz101 (monophonic fm synth). Or mabey even a micro korg. I do beleave they have both thoughs keyboards...

But... On to the good side...

I have been able to achive this sound with 2 diferent pedals... First off my Ibanez SB7, using volume swells... Second, the slow synth setting on the Digitech Bass Synth Wah...

Well I hope that helped...

Alex

4. murdermilk

murdermilk

Feb 5, 2004
    Well, that was just me, and I am usually wrong.

5. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    It's an actual synth - I believe it was recorded with a Novation Bass Station and when I saw them live in 1997 he played it on keyboard.

Alex

6. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    ahhh yes... thats right alex, thats what it would probobly be... I forgot that they used a novation....

Alex