Synth Synth Synth

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassline_Delux, Dec 27, 2005.

1. I've been reading things from the search function for days now. I'm even more confused(ish) than when I started.

So, I think I've kinda narrowe dit down.

The EHX Bass Microsynthesizer:

Seems pretty awesome, but it is pricey. I have the cash, so its not an issue of price, it more value.

The Boss ME-50B:

More reasonably priced, also has all that other **** and apparently decent distortions.

So, I want to use this in an 'Electro/Drum n' Bass/Jazz Fusion' Live Act type thing, which do you suggest and why?

Also, feel free to make other suggestions.
  2. Go with the me-50B to get versatiliy and a lot of functions for approx. as much as a bass microsynth.
  3. Ok. Except for the odd, "If you do this and this and this you get a pretty cool synth sound" It seems the consensus is that the me-50b sucks for synth. Any arguments?
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My next couple of bucks is going to the Bass Microsynth. ;)
  5. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    If you jettison expectations of speedy tracking the synth settings on the ME50B have their uses, but they do suck for quick Stevie Wonder or P-Funk style synth basslines. The "Deep Filter" setting works well (for me) on slower, more ambient kinda stuff. It is kind of baffling how Boss, a subsidiary of synthesizer giant Roland, has always lagged in the synth department.

That said, I've gotten very funky, trippy usable synthlike tones out of the ME50B with various combinations of distortion, modulation, compression, T-Wah, Slow Gear, Octave up/down, and Resonance. I wish I could use both the T-Wah and Octave FX at the same time, but I get around this by using the Octave FX from the Filter/Tone bank and the -1 Octave setting on the expression pedal, or using the T-Wah FX and the Resonance setting on the pedal. Not quite the same but some very useful tones.

For live shows I've been using a DigiTech Bass Synth Wah into the ME50B. I was worried that using digital FX would give me cold, sterile tone, but that has not been the case at all.