Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

synth

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jordane818, Jan 20, 2005.

1. jordane818

jordane818

Jan 17, 2005
    anyone have a boss syb-3 or 5, akai deep impact, or electroharmonix bass synth they are willing to sell for cheap? also, wat are ur opinions on which are the best ones out of the 3?

2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Your best bet is to do a search of the For Sale forum, but realize that both the Deep Impact and the Electroharmonix are "high-end" (especially compared to the Boss pedals) and in the case of the Deep Impact discontinued and therefore in a "sellers market" - there's simply no reason for an owner selling one of those to let it go "cheaply", as you're asking.

For example, viewing the last completed eBay sales for the Deep Impact ranged between $280 and $350, averaging just over $300 per sale. :eek:

As opinion, I've tried the SYB-3 (pure crap in a box) and owned a Deep Impact, which was pure 70's funk in red sparkle casing. The only reason I sold it was the purchase of my SWR Mini Mo' preamp, which between its BassSynth and Subwave effects covered about 80% of the DI's range, and I couldn't justify keeping it when it's sales potential was so great. I did have to pay off the SWR, and that sale was a decent chunk of its cost, but if I could have kept it if at all possible.

3. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    I've never tried an Akai Deep Impact, but everyone else loves them. I have owned the Electro Harmonix and absolutely loved, but then you don't have the ability to save presets like you can on the Akai. The Boss SYB-3 does indeed royally suck, but I'm interested to see how the SYB-5 turned out.
    Honestly, I think the Akai would be your best best; awesome sounds and the ability to make presets.

If budget is an issue, then I highly suggest checking out the Digitech Bass Synth Wah. Many of the TB'ers swear by it for it's awesome octaver, but it does have some decent synth sounds available. You really can't go wrong for the price.

4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I've tried all 3 and i prefer the Akai for the reasons stated above. The Boss's tracking is abysmal, IMHO.

I actually have two synths on my board - the Akai and a Digitech. Both are used for different effects and both work great for what i use them for.

At first, I was having some "response" issues with the Akai, but I've since worked that out. The Akai REALLY puts out some nice, usable sounds.

5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    You know: I would have thought from the 'Impact-lovers TB-testimonials that 'I couldn't go wrong with the Akai', but I also noticed that some have said I love/use the E.H. Bass Synth as well as the 'Impact. I finally got to try an E.H. synth, and was not impressed at all! I mean it seemed like any good sound I could get out of it sounded great on ONE long, sustained note, but when I actually played a bass line...(!). I messed with the thing for a good 15-20mins probably, so whatever that's worth - I am familiar with analog synths and filters and things like that, so I did quickly become aware of what all the controls did (or were supposed to do, as far as I could tell). ..and I was muting and playing clean.

What I'd still love to hear is a PigTronix with a Wooly Mammoth in the loop. I'll bet'cha THAT would slay. ..or maybe a Meatball - that has an insert between the detector and filter, right? ..But what would that cost? Like US$600 for the pair? Ouch. I'd be wiser to upgrade my basic rig first.

Joe

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Ive got an octave fuzz in my meatball's loop, it gets some really synthy sounds.

However - i do prefer my Deep Impact.

7. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    What?! OK, then - back to the mystery: are you one who says that the E.H. unit sounds great?

Maybe I just got a bad one. ..Or I suppose I could have just set it up badly, but I'm a technician-type (by trade also), and pretty good with that kind of thing ...even though I think that my 'ear' looses some respect around here every time I say that I get great sounds out of my ODB-3 (I DO get great sounds from my ODB-3, y'all, so bite me).

Joe

8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    No im not, ive never tried the EHX unit - those sliders always put me off because they look so fragile.

9. As you can tell from my user name, I own and love the EH Bass Micro Synth. It certainly is a quirky piece that requires some messing around with before you get the best out of it. One of the most critical steps is selecting the right input gain range via the small pot that you access on the underside of the pedal. Once this is taken care of you will have filter sounds that respond more dynamicly to your playing. There is certainly a lerning curve to this unit, but i haven't met another pedal that can produce the raw, wild space-rock sounds that this one can. And you can use it as a straight octive pedal....too cool!

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have tried the Bass Micro Synth in a store, and I was fairly impressed. You really could get a wide variety of sounds out of it. However, I own a Deep Impact, and it has worked very well for me. I will note, though, that it responds wonderfully to my Thunderbird, but not so well to my (modified) active DeArmond 5-string. Overall, I do prefer the Deep Impact, and to me it is more user friendly (at least during a gig it would be). But still, the EH unit does have some killer sounds. FWIW, I also own the Digitech Bass Synth Wah, but other than the octave down effect, I don't find it to work nearly as well as the Deep Impact.