Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

synth????

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dadodetres, Feb 21, 2005.

1. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    ok, i searched and readed here a lot about synth,
    i found the boss sy-5 has some freqency and filter controls, if i heep a riff with delay sounding, and i want to work on real time twitching the kbobs in the synth, what exaclty do the knobs do?

also i readed that the boss has a really bad tracking problems, so that may be bad for what i and, right?

so, what other synth or other crazy sounding pedal can work good on filters and stuff in real time?

thancks! i

2. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    so i found here inm uiruguay someone selling a BOSS AW-2 auto wha, and a BOSS BF-2B bass flanger.... i know they are different things,

i have rate , depth, manual, and resonanse parameters to change, is this what i might be looking for?

sorry for all the questions, is that here in uruguay it is very difficult to shop for good gear, and one one of these pedals appears, it might be my opportunioty to get one.,....

3. Akai Deep Impact, or the Korg G5 are notorious for having stellar tracking. But they're damn near impossible to find, and if you do find one you'll be lucky to get one for less than 250 bucks. The EH Microsynth may be a bit more versatile and sound better, but I've heard that it doesnt track as well, and it also is not programmable.

4. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Stellar tracking ? - thats magic, as i've just bought one for ...( does quick XE.com calculation ) ... $80

5. so what about the Electro Harmonix Microsynth Bass..?
    anybody there, who have experience with it?

6. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    plenty of threads on this. but here goes anyway:

boss syb-3: poor tracking, poor range of sounds
    boss syb-5: better tracking, average range of sounds, has expression pedal input
    ibanez sb7: never tried it, but cheap and supposed to be decent, not a great range of sounds apparently.
    akai deep impact: great tracking & sounds, discontinued, expensive on ebay
    korg g5: as above.

hit pedalgeek.com and check out some other types of lesser known synths.

7. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Guess i got lucky with my Deep Impact.

8. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    $80 US? that is a crime! im jealous...

9. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    It was a bass player on a uk Bass forum that was selling. The last few brand new ones in the UK were sold by Planet of Sound for £150 - Bout $300. He dont have anymore though

10. Szipmonk

Szipmonk

May 11, 2004
    NYC
    Personally, I'd go with the Akai Deep Impact. But as previously mentioned, it's discontinued and rather expensive for that reason.

11. Is the korg g5 as good as the akai deep impact?

In that case, here's something for you on ebay
    Not more than $53 right now...

As a Norwegian user, I'm obviously not allowed to bid on this :spit: Damn, I hate those "no international bidders"-people.

12. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The korg isn't as solidly put together as the akai, but still very solid. But one neat feature is you can use an expression pedal with it to control the resonance.

As one of those "no international bidders" people, let me explain my reasoning. To ship internationally, I have to use the Us Postal Service. Due to a combination of their opening hours, my working hours and location I can only get there on a Saturday. Which is the worst possible day to go, it's only open 4 hours then and I'm guaranteed to wait 20-30 minutes in total to get something accepted and shipped.
    Shipping domestically, I make a Fedex/UPS label at home online. I print it out, attach it to the package and just leave it with them. Much much less hassle.
    Maybe you'll take that into account before condemning people who make that choice in future.

13. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    You can ship internationally via UPS too can't you?

14. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I really like the EH Bass Microsynth, but I've never used the Korg or Akai. The EH can make a mind-boggling variety of sounds, many of them very cool, but as has been pointed out, it's not programmable, or easy to adjust on the fly.

15. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    For an effects unit like the korg of deep impact, you're talking at least $75 to ship to the UK. USPS cost would be somewhere in $20 to $25 range to ship the same thing to the UK.

16. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    One thing to be aware of when buying in the US to send to the UK.

Our thieving Customs + Excise do random checks on parcels, and if its sale price is above $35 ( i think thats right, might be more ) then if the parcel gets caught, you will pay import of about 3.5% on the cost of the item & shipping. Then they will add VAT @ 17.% on the total, and then our Parcel service will add a handling charge on top again. :spit:

You may be lucky and it slips through, cos they dont check everything. I've had quite a few things sent over here from the US and been quite lucky. I bought a Peavey a few months back and it slipped straight on in.

But today i got caught - i just bought an old Ovation Magnum and our Parcel service sent me a note to go down to the holding depot and charged me another $80 on top of the $390 i paid for the Bass ( including shipping ).

So beware -

17. It's really helpful when the sellers declare as a gift, or worth less than its real value. Then the customs just have to let it go through... :)

And to you davidmwilson: don't take it personally or litterary what I said about "no international bidders"-people.. I didn't know it was so much trouble.

18. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Declaring something as "gift " is really only something you can arrange with private sellers, and with either low value 2nd hand goods, or low value new goods, .
    and US companies are reluctant to say this as, its against the law and they can get spanked for false declaration, ending in fraud.
    Not only that, our C+E maybe daylight robbers but they're not stupid. If they randomly open a parcel and its got a brand new EMMM it, they're not going to be taken in by the the word "gift". They know the prices of stuff, believe it or not.

Best thing is to budget for any parcel getting caught, then if it doesnt, you're a good few £££££'s in pocket

19. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i know this is kinda of an old post

but i love my boss syb-3

i have no tracking issues, and the range of sounds is perfect for me..

i picked it up off e bay for 100 bucks!

its prolly one of my fav pedals