Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Synthesizer effect (dancehall)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mosmute, Aug 30, 2003.

1. mosmute

mosmute

Apr 22, 2002
    canada
    i'm looking for a effect pedal that would make my bass sound like a bass synthesizer. i tried a few bass synthesizer pedals and didn't really find the sound i was looking for.

I'm looking for the classic dancehall reggae sound
    eg:
    http://www.jamrid.com/Sleng.htm

was i just not looking hard enough with those pedals?

2. I have always thought that site to be the coolest....awful handy resource IMO.
    Y'know...I really couldn't say how you'd cop that tone. I 'spose you should just keep demo-ing the multitude of "synth" pedals out there, maybe even focus on those cheap-ass multi-effectors that claim to offer a "bass synth" option. I say this because those tones (IMO) always seem to sound a tad cheesier than the more expensive models. I don't mean to sound like i am knocking that tone but it sort of has that "hokey" keyboard sound...one that i don't hear in most bass synth boxes going for more of that Moog, pipe organ thang. I dunno......?? Good luck.

3. mosmute

mosmute

Apr 22, 2002
    canada
    thanks for the advice,
    and by the way your opinion is 100% correct:Those tones are cheesy and hokey as hell.

but i still love it:D

4. egb41

egb41

Mar 26, 2003
    U.S.A OHIO Columbus
    I've heard only good things about the Akai Deep Impact pedal. I am looking for the same sound so I bought an Bass V Amp Big mistake. I don't know what the heck they were thinking when they called this patch a bass synth. Pure crap!!!!! Perhaps I have a defective unit, nonetheless I will be returning it. As was previously stated multi-effects just don't seem to do any effect really well. They usually end up being glorified tuners IMHO of course. YMMV etc.

5. Namaah

Namaah

Dec 21, 2002
    Bronx, NYC
    I agree with the Akai Deep Impact. I have it and I love it. Takes a little bit of getting used to it, but once you give it a try i hope u will love it. Usually MF has sales going on for around $100. I picked mine up off of ebay for like $110. I have only love for AKAI pedals, so if u have a chance to get it. DO IT.

6. mosmute

mosmute

Apr 22, 2002
    canada
    so you have one eh?

do you think i could get the sound that i'm lookin for?

are there lots of crazy sounds?
    i wish i could "test drive" one

7. Namaah

Namaah

Dec 21, 2002
    Bronx, NYC
    Dude, try this site. http://www.geocities.com/basseffects/ . I used this as a refrence when i was lookin for info on it. Click on akai and listen to the samples, or click on anything else for that matter. And http://www.buzzfox.com/ is another site i found REALLY usefull (and damn i ordered something from them and it was at my house next day from Cali to NY). At buzzfox they have the EHX Micro synth. I havnt tried it, it looks like you need to know what you are doing, but its EHX and when have u ever heard anything bad bout them. BUT the EHX synth is like $300 compaired to the Akai being 100ish. Well I hope i was of some help.