1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Synthesizers and what do I need to know about them ??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by magnusdeus123, Aug 19, 2007.

1. I've recently been divulging into Synth's , researching on them , and have really gotten interested in the music that is able to be produced by them . I would want to pick them up , but I dont want to go over and learn a keyboard , and I'm sure now we have Bass Synthesizers that can do equally well . I'm an idiot when it comes to this though , and thats why I've made this thread , as I need help from u guys to understand what exactly are the options for synthesis on a bass guitar and how do you go about it . I know you can get pedals and such , but I'd rather hear a full explanation of it from a TB Synth Bass pro....Cheers .

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

You need to know about the search button.
    It's a really important feature.

3. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    I motion that we have a synth bass side of the forum. Double bass people have their side and bass guitar people have their side. Why not have a synth bass side?

At any rate, on the bass side of things you're limited soundwise unless you're using a MIDI setup (but that's another beast). Try as you might, you just can't beat the legato of a keyboard (you can come close). If you're a non-keyboardist, the keyboard will make you play lines you would've never played on bass.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

4. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    The bass synthesizer pedal options are simple - it's like any other effects pedal. Plug it in, and configure as necessary. Each one has a very different set of controls, so it'd be a good idea to read up on each one, as they're all capable of different things.

Search for threads on these popular bass synthesizer pedals in this forum. The first three are the "big three":

- EHX Bass Micro Synthesizer (my personal favorite!)
    - AKAI Deep Impact
    - Korg G5
    - Boss SYB-3
    - Boss SYB-5
    - Ibanez SB-7

As an alternative, many people achieve synth-like sounds through various combinations of the these effects: Distortion, Fuzz, Reverb, Chorus, Delay, Envelope Filter, Wah, Autowah, Octave

The most popular combo tends to be Octave => Fuzz => Filter.

Another option - albeit a more expensive one - is a MIDI pickup which you can mount or install on your bass. I'm not too well-versed in those, though... so I'd recommend searching to read more on that, too.

5. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    A pedal will never come close to the real thing... so you'll always have that "imitation" vibe. I couldn't stand that, so I got a real synth and got my keyboard chops up.

6. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    +1...

Even though I love synthesizer pedals on bass, they're just not the same. Nothing comes close enough to replace the real thing.

But... they can still be cool. :cool:

7. Equally well as a keyboard? Bzzzzzzzzt! No way in hell - pedals hardly even scratch the surface of keyboard synth sounds.

The fact is that there's really not that much to know and the topic is well covered here if you take a look around. Mystic lists just about every synth pedal in existence, they all have shortcomings and idiosyncrasies, they're limited in the sounds they can emulate and many are ridiculously expensive.

I don't think anyone's gonna hold you hand and tour you through everything there is to know about synth pedals. That's just not how it works around here. Most everything you need to know is here, and has probably been discussed multiple times, go check it out.

8. Roland V-Bass

9. 00Funk

00Funk Banned

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    You need to know the synth pedal is first in the chain.

10. 00Funk

00Funk Banned

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    Get 2 Line 6 Filter modelers. Synth strings is my favorite with an expression pedal. Theese usually do better at the end of the chain for some reason

11. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    If I were in a band that required a lot of synth bass, I'd buy a keyboard. I haven't looked for a while, but I believe there are even "bass specific" types of keyboards.