Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Synthetic/Nylon wrapped Gut?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Kevinlee, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    Are there any full sets out there somewhere of a synthetic or nylon wrapped gut string? I know there's the Golden Spiral in G & D (when and if you can find them) but what about A & E strings?

I just recently replaced my plain gut G with a Velvet Garbo G, which is wrapped with nylon or something, and I like it quite a bit. I have Plain gut on D & A and I'm always searching for an E string that blends well with the plain gut. Right now I have a Eurosonic light E and it works pretty well. I've had various metal wrapped gut that sound good but I'm not crazy about the metal mixed with plain. It seems a synthetic wrapped E would be a better match for plain gut. I'm getting a sense of deja vu so I may have asked this question before.

Kevinlee

2. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    I don't know of a synthetic wrapped gut E. I use Pirastro Olive wrapped gut E&A and find they blend very well with plain gut D&G. The smooth, flat windings allow the gut character to come through without sounding bright and metallic.
    Have you tried a plain gut E?

3. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    I've tried an oliv A with the plain guts, and the olive sounded great but I still wasn't real keen on going from the plain gut to to the metal wrapped. It may be more in my head and the way it feels more than the actual sound though.

I have tried a plain E and the size and lack of focus bugged me.

Kevinlee