1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Synthetic string breakage

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by fdeck, Apr 25, 2010.

1. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Question: Are synthetic strings (e.g. Obli's) any more likely to break than steel? I have been playing on Spiro's forever, and have never worried about carrying spares. Would this be advisable with synthetics?

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I've never broken an Obligato, but I didn't stay with them very long (like ten years:D) . Knock wood, I have Evahs on the bottoms now.

The only string I've ever broken was an Anima. I played out the gig without an E string... made me rethink my place in the universe. I've known folks that have broken Spiros... none of them are immune. That said, if you want bulletproof great sound, Spiros are the way to go.

It's probably always good to carry spares.

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I've broken Obligatos, and Dominants. Once a Spiro E, but it was on and off so many times that it was pretty beat up. I think that if you take good care of your strings, and leave them installed for the life of the string you shouldn't have too much of a problem. Spirocores(and Superflexibles) are the most durable that I have found...

4. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    I've had Doms spontaneously break even thought they were well cared for. Using Spiros now. I always carry spares, regardless of what's on the bass.

5. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    I've been using Sensicores on my BugBass EUB for about 6 months now without any breakage or wear.

Mainly, they need to be tuned up a tiny bit before each use and the bridge occasionally needs to be tilted back to the full upright position.

6. eerbrev

eerbrev

Dec 6, 2009
    Ottawa, ON, CAN
    The only strings I've broken were Dominant Solos. I had a High A and a Low F# snap on me at the peg box. I'm a poor University student and needless to say, I was extremely unimpressed ( The High A was on the first day).

7. Don Higdon

Don Higdon In Memoriam

Dec 11, 1999
    Princeton Junction, NJ
    Other things go wrong before they break, in my experience. The sound just goes to s--t.