Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Synthetic vs. gut in upgrading from Obligatos

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Jacobi, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Jacobi

Jacobi

Apr 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Not a very unique thread, but...
    At the moment I use a set Pirastro Obliogato, and I like them alot in both pizz and arco.
    Though I think they (especially the D- and G-strings) are kind of weak and shy. Skinny... (Understand what I mean?) This I find more on my bass than on other Obligato fitted basses I´ve played...
    My bass is 105cm with "medium" string height. I play mostly "nordic/ECM style jazz", though I care alot for my walking and bowing as well.

I now consider buying either a set, a mix or perhaps just D- and G-strings of Pirastro Eudoxa (or maybe Olive?) or Velvet 180 or 360 (or something else?). But I really cant make up my mind, or be sure of the differences. (B.t.w. steel strings are, at the monent, out of the question.)
    And as I play unamplified as often as possible, an increase in volume/attack would be a plus.

Any thoughts or tips?
    Thank you in advace.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Jacobi, I'm going through the same thing as you right now. I've decided I want guts instead of Obligatos too, but for different reasons (I like the sound and hate being in pain).

I've done some research, and I've found that most people say that you will get a decrease in volume using guts.

If you really want to research about guts, read www.rockabillybass.com forum posts. Rockabilly guys almost all use guts or nylons, and it seems the vast majority here use steels.

3. dex68

dex68 Guest

May 5, 2005
    Velvet Animas are the strings for you.

4. pipeman

pipeman

Mar 20, 2005
    brooklyn,n.y.
    i would recommend the eudoxa's for the easiest switch from obligato's to real gut core. they are very easy to play with the bow, have a perfect mix of darkness and punch for pizz, and the tension is slightly lower than the obligato. the drawbacks are the cost and the tuning stability, but for me the sound and feel are worth it. another alternative is the popular olive on top and eudoxa on the bottom combo. the olive's are thicker than the eudoxa's because there of the higher percentage of gut. the olive D is about the thickness of the eudoxa A for example.

in my experience the anima's bow very poorly. some people have said that they bow well, but i would say they bow well in comparison to plain gut but not to a pirastro orchestral string. the pizz sound is very gut like, the tension is pretty low, and the gauge is similar to the eudoxa. the main drawback is that you have to buy the whole set.......

5. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I believe that Rufus Reid uses Animas. If that is so, then I would be interested in trying these out. Rufus gets a great sound from his bass.

Fred