1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Synthy fuzzes, what should i look at?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Oneirogenic, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    I'm looking for a fuzz that has a more synth like fuzz sound or at least a versatile fuzz that can do the synthy thing. I already own a black Russian big muff and it doesn't quite do what i want even though i like it. I play in an eclectic rock trio and i use a lot of effects and I'm trying achieve a keyboardish synth sound with fuzz and other pedals.(octave and chorus of course!) Since i don't know much about the fuzzes currently on the market I'm looking to always amazing TB effects forum. What should i look into?

2. jez79

jez79

May 2, 2004
    Canada
    The bass fog gets pretty synthy with the squeeze trurned up, but won't interact very well with an octave before it. Cheap too.

Mastodude likes this.
  3. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Source audio multiwave

4. Mastodude

Mastodude

Feb 6, 2011
    Zvex Woolly Mammoth?

5. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    geiger counter can make some sweet fuzz

HolmeBass, Mastodude and sillyfabe like this.
  6. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    Check out the Iron Ether Oxide for sure. The ss/bs Team Awesome Fuzz Machine can get into synthy territory on some settings, as well.

HolmeBass likes this.
  7. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    All the suggestions so far have been good! Also look into the Duality. It can get that synthy sound, a smaller know one is Industrialecteric Square Wave Generator. The Second Voice pedals are all good too.

8. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Having fun yet? Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Mt Vernon, NY
    Check out the Iron Oxide Subterranea. Instant synthy fuzz sound no separate octave or fuzz necessary. Get, if you don't have one already, a good filter and you'll have your synth bliss.

9. Oxide and Mammoth are my favorites

10. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Chunk Systems Brown Dog

I like the DOD FX52 Classic Fuzz for synthy applications, especially before an envelope filter.

11. halfjackson

halfjackson

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston, MA
    3leaf You're Doom. It's a super versitle pedal that can get traditional fuzz and synth like sounds. Plus it plays well with every pedal that I've thrown at it.

smallsound/bigsound TAFM with the gate switch engaged gets some wicked synth sounds too. It's a great traditional fuzz as well.

Each, combined with an envelope filter and/or an octave will get you some really great synth tones.

CTC564 and LowEndWooly like this.
  12. circuitspore

circuitspore

Aug 27, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
  13. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    +1 TAFM

14. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    Brassmaster circuits do Synthy well.

15. dalo

dalo Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    The IE Oxide and 3Leaf You're Doom both get nice synthy fuzz sounds.

16. Tech 21 Red Ripper... but only if you can find one cheap/used. I want to like this pedal, but like every Tech21 product I've tried, it just doesn't seem to hold as well in the band mix as it sounds by itself.

The Oxide and TAFM are completely on point for this purpose.

17. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I have to agree that the Duality would be a great choice for the sort of sounds you are going for. Plus it can do so many other things. I love the synth sound I can get out of it.

18. Phagor

Phagor

Mar 26, 2002
    London, UK
    Not a fuzz, but check out the Iron Ether Subterranea for a great synth/octave combo.

19. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    whoo hoo!! Thanks guys. I have more research to do, once I figured out how to narrow my search on the App I found a lot of threads similar to mine. It seems like I would want a gated fuzz which put's me into the TAFM, Oxide, and ???? I'm gonna look at the Subterranea. I have a Digitech BSW which sounds frickin awesome with my Russian Muff but it's not quite there for me yet. One of my local pawn shops has an OC2 that has been there for months for 60 bucks. I should probably swipe it and it to my synthy goodness equation.

20. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    If I could get something that is somewhat close to bass synth sound on the Sigur Rós song "Brennisteinn" I would be super tickled. I know it's actually a synth played on that song but I want my bass to sound like that if it can hehehe. here's a link to the song, bass synth comes in about 22 seconds in.