Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

System 3 epoxy response to my email. Use Varnish?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Linas, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I asked system 3 which product would be best for the fretless expoxy application. there response was:

"Use Clear Coat and brush it on. Clear Coat is not a final finish so after you get the build you want sand and apply a coat of varnish, lacquer, etc"

My question is, what is the varnish for, what does it ultimatly do? Is it going to withstand the beating of round wounds?

2. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    They obviously didn't undertsand your question or had no idea at all.

You don't need a coat of lacquer on top of epoxy for fretless fretboards. Wether clear coat or their other types of epoxies are better suited for this job, I couldn't tell you. maybe another member here will jump in and tell you which one they use.

3. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Most epoxies are pretty susceptible to UV rays. They probably just want you to use a UV inhibiting layer so the epoxy doesn't change colour or break down over time. That being said, I don't really know how good lacquer or poly finishes are at blocking UV, and I don't recall what the effects of long term UV exposure are on the main epoxies (I'm sure I knew it once).

Personally I don't worry about it, since I can't see my basses being stored in direct sunlight, and I kind of like a colour change with time. Make's 'em look like they've been around a bit.

-Nate

4. the long term effect on this particular product is considerable yellowing, there will be no damage to it other than that.They also sell UV inhibitors that you can mix with their epoxy to minimize this effect.Their clear coat product is very good for fretless fingerboards.