1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

System 3 question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jworrellbass, Jan 26, 2012.

1. jworrellbass

jworrellbass Commercial User

May 17, 2009
    Colorado Springs CO
    Owner, builder: jworrellbass
    I just have a question in regards to finishing a 4 string fretless I'm building. I've applied 6 coats of System 3 epoxy to the FB. The last coat came out very nice except for a few small air bubbles. I re-leveled the FB with 600 wet/dry sand paper and then used my micro mesh kit to it. The FB has a matte look to it now. I would like to get that "mirror shine" back that it had before I started to sand it out. I've searched and googled but I haven't found anything very helpful. I know there are a few of you guys that have worked with the System 3 with fantastic results, would you mind sharing? Thanks in advance.

John

2. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    If you're applying another coat you'll want it to be at ~320 so it will stick. If you're wanting to polish the last coat then treat just like a car; keep sanding higher to ~12,000 and then buff.

Be aware that witness lines can show through if you use multiple coats.

3. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    I polish System 3 just like lacquer. Wetsand to 2000, #7 rubbing compound, and Mirror glaze polish and wax

This is a bass uke I have done recently, the most recent epoxy job on a FB. The FB is System 3 Mirror Coat, and the body is Parks lacquer.

bassuke9008.

4. Not epoxy but I achieved the mirror effect on CA doing what mike suggested. I´ve achieved the same on Rustin's danish oil so I guess that the principle should apply to Epoxy too.

5. jworrellbass

May 17, 2009
    Colorado Springs CO
    Thanks for the replies, I think what happened I didn't let the last coat set up long enough. System 3 recommends 5 days before use, I let it set 3 days and the last few in a basement below 65 degrees. I was trying to re-sand it today and the epoxy seemed like it wasn't quite set up all the way. I ended up doing a light sanding and I'm going to do another coat of the epoxy.

6. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Did you buff it out? Your OP doesn't say whether you buffed or not and if so, with what compound?

7. jworrellbass

May 17, 2009
    Colorado Springs CO
    I used a Micro Mesh kit. The problem was the epoxy wasn't quite cured. When I used the 600 wet/dry and a block some of the epoxy stuck to the paper and caused scratches. I proceeded with the MM and this morning after I posted I used a liittle wax and it looked very good. It still had the scratches so I went back and tried it again, this time with 400 wet/dry and it looked pretty bad :bawl:. I decided to start again with a fresh coat of System 3. This time I'll wait longer before I re-level and buff out.

BTW JC, that looks fantastic!

8. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Thanks John, I hope yours comes out as nice, I got eager with Mirror coat once too, don't feel too bad, we all do it...LOL ;)

9. any updates or pics on this?

10. jworrellbass

May 17, 2009
    Colorado Springs CO
    No, the bass in question is on hold until I finish another project first.

11. jworrellbass

May 17, 2009
    Colorado Springs CO
    Ok, I think I got it worked out. Thanks for your help JC and Mickey.

4stringfretlessjune2012011.
    4stringfretlessjune2012007.

Btw, anyone who tells you that the epoxy won't stick to an oil finish is wrong. I had to resand this bass out after the epoxy leaked though the tape. The stuff is very messy.

12. I love your single cut design!